Plus2Joe

State of The Empire Address: Team Introduction Discussion Thread

It is better to look forward. But you guys caught lightning in a bottle with AoEO. I don't know how to be polite with this, but for me, expansions for 12-year-old titles just don't move the needle.  

I hope you and dariakus are co-emperors when the franchise releases an rts successor. As you guys surely know, we are chomping for it.  

In Star Wars terms, AoECS is an animated show that takes place in the gaps. AoE4 would turn you guys into JJ Abrams. 

As an Age of Empires fan for over 16 years I feel left out with the currently supported Age of Empires games.

I tried Age of Empires: Castle Siege for about two months but when it got too hard to progress without plopping down a chunk of change with only a temporary benefit, I lost interest.

Paying homage to Age of Empires II, Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III is great, but the newest of these titles is coming up on 10 years old.  I enjoyed reliving my favorite Age of Empires II experiences in Age of Empires II HD.  However, I have no interest in actively playing the Steam re-releases, even with the new content coming soon.

Best wishes to the new leadership team for the Age of Empires franchise.  Please consider developing a brand new Age of Empires game for PC and Xbox.

Well before I'm spending money on a new Age of Empires let them proof they can actually run a game... Just to remind:

- Age of Empires Online got cut after less then 3 years... leaving season pass holders in the rain and everyone else who bought the game

- Age of Empires III... Man, those servers are crappy

So change the servers for AOE III as announced soon, rerelease Age of Empires Online and let both run smoothly for a year and then well talk again.

Isn't it better to keep looking forward than constantly looking back?

I don't think the community is the one looking back. Microsoft keeps milking 10+ years game, without giving us something new. You* can't blame us for wanting to play a game with decentish engine and better pathing etc. I have tried playing AoE 2 HD and AoM but this games are just unplayable in terms of modern standards for multiplayer.

Here I am going to mention a couple of things in AoE 2 HD, that makes me feel you just want to cash grab from your community: 

To be honest I wouldn't be that "mad" if instead of selling us a replay mode in a 16 years old game for 20$ you did some better job on the way game performs and made it a bit more playable compared to other rts games in the last 5 years. Not even that but you didn't even try to make some gameplay changes to make the games more fast paced. You expect people to constantly have fun in multiplayer but the truth is that after playing games like sc2 where the things happen so much faster and the "idle/boring time " is so much less, you just can't enjoy this games that much, and they are so much more frustrating. You just didn't do nearly enough to allow people enjoy the micro in the game. There no doubt is place for really high micro, but it feels so slugish and not rewarding to do it. Control groups, hotkeys and just basic rts mechanics feel terrible and is just a huge shame that you never took a time after 4 years since the HD release to make a patch to fix them and now you want to add couple of more civs for 20$ without fixing any of those problems.

I mean sure do it, there is nothing bad and I would probably buy it just for the campaign (because I feel 0 joy playing the multiplayer) but what you do is "looking back". I would be really happy the day you decide to follow your own advice and start looking forward !

*you- is referring to the people who took the terrible decisions that led to the fall of one of the best and most beloved rts series. It was probably even more beloved than  StarCraft- outside of Korea of course .

I don't think the community is the one looking back. Microsoft keeps milking 10+ years game, without giving us something new. You* can't blame us for wanting to play a game with decentish engine and better pathing etc. I have tried playing AoE 2 HD and AoM but this games are just unplayable in terms of modern standards for multiplayer.

Here I am going to mention a couple of things in AoE 2 HD, that makes me feel you just want to cash grab from your community: 

To be honest I wouldn't be that "mad" if instead of selling us a replay mode in a 16 years old game for 20$ you did some better job on the way game performs and made it a bit more playable compared to other rts games in the last 5 years. Not even that but you didn't even try to make some gameplay changes to make the games more fast paced. You expect people to constantly have fun in multiplayer but the truth is that after playing games like sc2 where the things happen so much faster and the "idle/boring time " is so much less, you just can't enjoy this games that much, and they are so much more frustrating. You just didn't do nearly enough to allow people enjoy the micro in the game. There no doubt is place for really high micro, but it feels so slugish and not rewarding to do it. Control groups, hotkeys and just basic rts mechanics feel terrible and is just a huge shame that you never took a time after 4 years since the HD release to make a patch to fix them and now you want to add couple of more civs for 20$ without fixing any of those problems.

I mean sure do it, there is nothing bad and I would probably buy it just for the campaign (because I feel 0 joy playing the multiplayer) but what you do is "looking back". I would be really happy the day you decide to follow your own advice and start looking forward !

*you- is referring to the people who took the terrible decisions that led to the fall of one of the best and most beloved rts series. It was probably even more beloved than  StarCraft- outside of Korea of course .

Hammer + nail

Well before I'm spending money on a new Age of Empires let them proof they can actually run a game... Just to remind:

- Age of Empires Online got cut after less then 3 years... leaving season pass holders in the rain and everyone else who bought the game

- Age of Empires III... Man, those servers are crappy

So change the servers for AOE III as announced soon, rerelease Age of Empires Online and let both run smoothly for a year and then well talk again.

Don't forget this website... slow and offline more then an average game website

Finally found some time to reply here. First of all, greetings to Matt and Ben. Welcome! With joy I read that you intend to update the ESO service for AoE3, it was overdue. When can we roughly expect new information on this? 

Matt wrote:

Ben and I already have plans to help improve all of the existing Age titles, and I’m looking forward to sharing more with you in the coming weeks!

I did wonder in regards to Age of Empires 3: Will this 'only' limit to the servers? Since I'm a game designer myself, I know you may neither be allowed to talk about it right now nor even have the infos on your table. I just wanted to be sure the question's been asked.

This brings me to my next and actual major point of this posting: A request and a question (you may say requestion). I've been an AoE fan all my life and I adore the original spirit of the franchise, that can be found especially in AoE1 and AoE2. Since I could get my hands on this game, I've been volunteering to countless creative, administrative and productive community services for more than 10 years non-stop. I didn't do that as a paid MS employee like you guys are and all the guys before you were, but as someone solely coming from the community. Even though my work never appeared in any of these for real, it would - in theory - be classified as user-generated content or fan art, something that a game company is willingly distributing on their social media channels to keep the community excited about games and lengthen their product cycles.

Since 2007 I committed myself to improve the experience of Age of Empires III as a part of the franchise through modding. Over the last years I've seen a lot of Microsoft's (probably promo-based) efforts to revive the franchise through the frequent feature of varous user creations, most prominently for AoE2 (because of HD) and AoM (because of EX). You celebrate the AoE2HD Steam Workshop to death in all its greatness and diversity, but where - if you, Ben and Matt, genuinely intend to get in touch with the community not just for raising the sales - are the equivalent efforts to get in touch with the core of the creative and caring AoE3 community? Where is the hype train for AoE3 and the incentive to make this game greater than now with the community? Why does MS love AoE2 mods, but keeps on ignoring those for AoE3? To be entirely honest, I find MS' policies towards the great community's efforts in UGC a respectless shame. I request a change!

Edited by Tilanus C.

Finally found some time to reply here. First of all, greetings to Matt and Ben. Welcome! With joy I read that you intend to update the ESO service for AoE3, it was overdue. When can we roughly expect new information on this? 

Matt wrote:

I did wonder in regards to Age of Empires 3: Will this 'only' limit to the servers? Since I'm a game designer myself, I know you may neither be allowed to talk about it right now nor even have the infos on your table. I just wanted to be sure the question's been asked.

This brings me to my next and actual major point of this posting: A request and a question (you may say requestion). I've been an AoE fan all my life and I adore the original spirit of the franchise, that can be found especially in AoE1 and AoE2. Since I could get my hands on this game, I've been volunteering to countless creative, administrative and productive community services for more than 10 years non-stop. I didn't do that as a paid MS employee like you guys are and all the guys before you were, but as someone solely coming from the community. Even though my work never appeared in any of these for real, it would - in theory - be classified as user-generated content or fan art, something that a game company is willingly distributing on their social media channels to keep the community excited about games and lengthen their product cycles.

Since 2007 I committed myself to improve the experience of Age of Empires III as a part of the franchise through modding. Over the last years I've seen a lot of Microsoft's (probably promo-based) efforts to revive the franchise through the frequent feature of varous user creations, most prominently for AoE2 (because of HD) and AoM (because of EX). You celebrate the AoE2HD Steam Workshop to death in all its greatness and diversity, but where - if you, Ben and Matt, genuinely intend to get in touch with the community not just for raising the sales - are the equivalent efforts to get in touch with the core of the creative and caring AoE3 community? Where is the hype train for AoE3 and the incentive to make this game greater than now with the community? Why does MS love AoE2 mods, but keeps on ignoring those for AoE3? To be entirely honest, I find MS' policies towards the great community's efforts in UGC a respectless shame. I request a change!

Hello, and thanks for the welcome!

We hope to have more information to share on the Age 3 server update timeline in the coming weeks. We're still finalizing our plans there--it's just a matter of nailing down the timing at this point. Currently there are no other plans we can announce for Age 3.

We're aware of the mod community and the work you all put into it, and think it's another great testament to how strong our fan base is and how long-lived our games are. While we cannot make any promises about if and when we'll be making any changes in this area, know that we hear your cries for better exposure and integration and have had discussions about how we could address this in the future.

Hello, and thanks for the welcome!

We hope to have more information to share on the Age 3 server update timeline in the coming weeks. We're still finalizing our plans there--it's just a matter of nailing down the timing at this point. Currently there are no other plans we can announce for Age 3.

We're aware of the mod community and the work you all put into it, and think it's another great testament to how strong our fan base is and how long-lived our games are. While we cannot make any promises about if and when we'll be making any changes in this area, know that we hear your cries for better exposure and integration and have had discussions about how we could address this in the future.

Only your best game had a very short life [scared]

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts