Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WildWest

Best Relief Force Troops? - Discuss Here...

Pointing out the obvious first that only mounted troops are worth their buck as relief troops. But I'm curious about the following:

• Which is better Heavy Cavalry or Knight Templars?
  • Thoughts on Mamlukes and ROMs? Yay or Nay?

To Give or Not To Give: In a smaller alliance sometimes there is no choice but to send lower power troops as RF to higher Ages. But how low is too low?

• What is the lowest Cavalry level you would send as RF to: A5, A6, A7, A8 and A9?
  • What is the lowest Knight Templar level you would send as RF to: A5, A6, A7, A8 and A9?
  • Other

Let's get the ball rolling!

It totally depends on who's attacking your castle and what is presently in your guardhouses and patrol points.

You know what's in your guardhouses and patrol points, so that's within your span of control.

You don't know who'll attack you next. But you can look at your defense log and see the kind of attacks you'd wish to counter. Snipers? Rushers? Novice players? Endgame veterans?

Mix it up? Or have just one type of unit? Something to be said for each choice.

Have a clear goal with what your ws should provide you, and have a clear understanding of whether the units in it in combination with guardhouses and patrol points can indeed achieve that result.

Experiment, because no castle is the same.

And if you need to make do with what you've got and it's not awesome, then make it awesome. Recruit strong donators, stimulate strong donations (as opposed to forcing LOL that never really works out well) and show how much you care for donations by donating strongly yourself.

for the record I am partial to a ROM & although I don't use them myself I don't mind when my alliance mates drop mamluks in there too! Cav is the obvious go to, but pretty easily countered with halberdiers or stoopid grenadiers, so when I donate I usually throw in a mix of Roms, KT's & Cav, in rotation

I have maxed units and donate the following to my Alliance members: RoM, Mamluk, Cavalry (Major Knight), Knight Templar, Grenadiers.

I'd say RoM is probably ideal for anyone so they can try to target siege weapons vs. regular troops.

Maybe Mamluks a close 2nd due to speed and range.

Cavalry for High Attack & Good Health.

Knight Templar - high health but low attack and slowest mounted unit.

Occasional Grenadier mixed in.

It totally depends on who's attacking your castle and what is presently in your guardhouses and patrol points.

You know what's in your guardhouses and patrol points, so that's within your span of control.

You don't know who'll attack you next. But you can look at your defense log and see the kind of attacks you'd wish to counter. Snipers? Rushers? Novice players? Endgame veterans?

Mix it up? Or have just one type of unit? Something to be said for each choice.

Have a clear goal with what your ws should provide you, and have a clear understanding of whether the units in it in combination with guardhouses and patrol points can indeed achieve that result.

Experiment, because no castle is the same.

And if you need to make do with what you've got and it's not awesome, then make it awesome. Recruit strong donators, stimulate strong donations (as opposed to forcing LOL that never really works out well) and show how much you care for donations by donating strongly yourself.

That's a completely different topic. I am talking purely about relief troops, not patrol points and guard houses. I am talking about the troops you think are all right to donate and the troops you prefer to receive.

That's a completely different topic. I am talking purely about relief troops, not patrol points and guard houses. I am talking about the troops you think are all right to donate and the troops you prefer to receive.

A well rounded defense strategy involves making sure relief troops and defender troops have synergy. So yes I have a definite preference for the troops I recieve because of what's in my GH and PP.

It depends on the level of the watch signal. At level 1-2, Pikemen/Hvy Infs are actually useful. If you filled up a low-level WS like that with 2-slot units, you simply wonuld't have a sufficient relief force. At L3+, cavs, culturals (except maybe Cheiros and LBs), and grennies are a good idea.

Cavs vs KTs: I'd go both, if there's space. If not, consider where the castle layout: if its valuable buildings are extraneous to the walls, go cavs. IOtherwise, go KTs.

Raiders of Muscovy are invaluable in a WS. Raiders will (provided there are no pesky meatshields) head straight for the siege engines and light 'em on fire.

As for the Mameluques, they're unkitable, ranged cavalry. Their stats aren't great, but Mameluques at maybe L2+ start to be interesting. Again, they're unkitable, which means they won't get tied up, and while they will die faster than even ROMs, they should get more done (not being distracted by a ladderman unit in the corner of the battlefield the whole dang time).

In short, there's no one-size-fits-all in WS terms. You need to donate the units that will provide the most effective defence, given the castle layout, enemy attack plan, etc.

Just, whatever you do, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't donate motherfing COMPOSITE BOWMEN.

Raiders of Muscovy are perfect as relief troops as they don't mind troops on their way, they go for siege weapons and finish them quickly.

In my opinion, Templars are better than Major Knights by health and spearmen resistance.

Mamluks are good, mid level cavalry.

Raiders of Muscovy are perfect as relief troops as they don't mind troops on their way, they go for siege weapons and finish them quickly.

In my opinion, Templars are better than Major Knights by health and spearmen resistance.

Mamluks are good, mid level cavalry.

I don't think you're giving Cavs as much credit as they deserve, honestly. Cavs, what with their higher Attack & damage+ vs infs, are good to try and clear out enemy invaders. While they can't take as punishment as a KT, they at least dish more punishment out.

I don't think you're giving Cavs as much credit as they deserve, honestly. Cavs, what with their higher Attack & damage+ vs infs, are good to try and clear out enemy invaders. While they can't take as punishment as a KT, they at least dish more punishment out.

I just don't like them, as they like too easy by grens and halberdiers.

I just don't like them, as they like too easy by grens and halberdiers.

There's a drawback to everything; the idea is to choose the drawbacks of least inconvenience, rather than to choose not to have drawbacks.

I mix it up, I will donate Cavalry, KT, Grens, and RoM, but I try to give all at once, so I will donate Cavalry, Gren, RoM, KT,  then  Cavalry, Gren, RoM, KT, etc So for the watch signals that release more than 1 troop, they have a mix of defenders tasked with different preferences....

The Cavalry will go after troops, the Grens after attacking mounted troops, the RoM will go after the siege and the KT just *** Halberdiers off to no end.... SO with a constant mix, they each kinda help look out for each other, without knowing it.... 

It depends on the level of the watch signal. At level 1-2, Pikemen/Hvy Infs are actually useful. If you filled up a low-level WS like that with 2-slot units, you simply wonuld't have a sufficient relief force.

Is that just your theory or based on real life experience??? I'd rather have two guaranteed rounds of one mounted squad than seven possible rounds of one squad of pikemen who won't make it to the battle in time...

Is that just your theory or based on real life experience??? I'd rather have two guaranteed rounds of one mounted squad than seven possible rounds of one squad of pikemen who won't make it to the battle in time...

It's a theory, but, if you think about an L1 WS, with 4 slots, deploying 1 unit at a time, dropping in 2 units of Major Knights isn't that great. First up, the WS will literally only be supplying relief troops for two minutes (in a six-minute game). Double the troops, and that's like, a 50-75% increase in usefulness-time. Second up, a player with an L1 WS is of a low-to-middle Age will find, given the calibre of their attacker, that lots of OK units are more useful than a few really good ones. If the choice is between Major Knights and Champions to give to an Age V with an L1 WS, I'd pick Champions any day: both will *** *** up for an attacker, but in this context the superiority of the MKs ofers a diminishing return, because Champs in an Age V WS are so *** good anyway. At this point, you may as well just give doulbe the troops, y'know? Seriously, what Age IV-VI unit is gonna put up a fight against an L7 Champ?

I mean, c'mon.

It's a theory, but, if you think about an L1 WS, with 4 slots, deploying 1 unit at a time, dropping in 2 units of Major Knights isn't that great. First up, the WS will literally only be supplying relief troops for two minutes (in a six-minute game). Double the troops, and that's like, a 50-75% increase in usefulness-time. Second up, a player with an L1 WS is of a low-to-middle Age will find, given the calibre of their attacker, that lots of OK units are more useful than a few really good ones. If the choice is between Major Knights and Champions to give to an Age V with an L1 WS, I'd pick Champions any day: both will *** *** up for an attacker, but in this context the superiority of the MKs ofers a diminishing return, because Champs in an Age V WS are so *** good anyway. At this point, you may as well just give doulbe the troops, y'know? Seriously, what Age IV-VI unit is gonna put up a fight against an L7 Champ?

I mean, c'mon.

Halberdiers/Pikemen/Spearmen ALL DAY LONG!!! I watched a group of lvl 7 MK get destroyed by 2 groups of age 5 maxxed(??) Halberdiers.... IT took literally 3 secs and the MK were DEAD.....

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts