Dave0564

Group Hug Thread

lol My neighbors better worry over me.......they touch my dog.....they will pull back a stump lol

Dog won't hurt them......but I will [sneaky]

Just gonna have to train them......to be sweet......how hard can it be? [rolleyes]

Real sorry to hear about your bud, Wulf!

If you own your house, check with your homeowners insurance for a list of breeds they won't insure. You don't want to inadvertently lose coverage by getting the wrong breed. So long as your dog is a partial mix, you may be in the clear. Just be careful. 

(I am not suggesting I agree with legislating dog breeds through insurance policies. I think it is witch hunty, myself.)

When you look at the litter, figure out the personality you want.

If the puppy hides behind the others, it will be shy and submissive. That can be good and bad. Good because he will get along with your other dog better. Bad because he will be clingy and over-protective. My one German shepherd was like that and a great family dog, but you needed to be introduced to the dog to come into the house. My wife tells me that when I left for trips he would try to act as "the protector". He would go into each room of the house in the middle of the night, give one low bark, see if anything moved then move on to the next room.

If the puppy comes right to you and is curious and playful, he is closer to the Alpha of the pack. He should give you short glances. This type is a little tougher to train because of their independence and curiosity. He needs to know right from the start who is in charge. You need to be consistent and strict raising and training this type. The dog in the landscape thread, Leo, is this type of dog. Needless to say, my wife isn't consistent with him. After two years she finally got him to heel properly. I never have that problem. He is a PitBull/Lab mix (we think).

If the puppy stares at you, doesn't hide but doesn't approach; avoid at all costs. This is the type of dog that will always try to take the Alpha spot from other dogs or humans. The other puppies usually steer clear from him because he already is the boss.

PitBulls are a great breed but take more work than some others. They are a great family dog and fiercely loyal. People have used this loyalty to train these dogs to be aggressive sadly.

Last tip...whichever personality you chose, expose him to crowds, other dogs and groups of children immediately. The dog needs to think that every person and other dog he meets is part of his pack. This will make him more social and less aggressive. It will help in the long run, even if you want the dog to be a protector. Most dogs will recognize real threats and react. That is never a problem. The problem is a dog that hasn't been socialized or is raised to be aggressive. Those dogs see everything as a threat.

Edited by recycle ar

@recycle ar & @Andy P my quote button won't work half the time since I updated windows.........a friggin 2 hr update........that messed everything up....grrrr

Anyway........fantastic advice............I checked my state and city.........no ordinance against the dogs..........gonna check Insurance company today.

Ar.....that was great.....I didn't know all of that......I just like the ones that run and jump in your lap and try to lick you lol..........who can't be charmed sitting in the middle of a puppy pile?

The only reason I am looking at these dogs.........is because he has a few grown ones and they are down right silly, snuggle nuts.....but they also learn well and listen to him and a few know commands well......and like I said the puppies look like fat little spotted pigs lol.

(this has erased my line twice now) I normally lean toward Labs, Retrievers, Setters, Spaniels, hounds, beagles.  It would be smart of me to look around........don't care if registered or not....don't care if a mutt, but at the shelter and the mutts, I don't know what it will grow up to look like or how big....

Looking around is hard.....cause I am impulsive and I loveeeeee puppies........and I need to not bring home more than one lol.  Any dog I get will be a house dog, with access to a fenced in yard.....he also needs to fit through the doggie door so I don't have to tear a wall down lol.

Thanks a lot guys.........was a great help

8 hours ago, Wulf & Dove said:

@recycle ar & @Andy P my quote button won't work half the time since I updated windows.........a friggin 2 hr update........that messed everything up....grrrr

Anyway........fantastic advice............I checked my state and city.........no ordinance against the dogs..........gonna check Insurance company today.

Ar.....that was great.....I didn't know all of that......I just like the ones that run and jump in your lap and try to lick you lol..........who can't be charmed sitting in the middle of a puppy pile?

The only reason I am looking at these dogs.........is because he has a few grown ones and they are down right silly, snuggle nuts.....but they also learn well and listen to him and a few know commands well......and like I said the puppies look like fat little spotted pigs lol.

(this has erased my line twice now) I normally lean toward Labs, Retrievers, Setters, Spaniels, hounds, beagles.  It would be smart of me to look around........don't care if registered or not....don't care if a mutt, but at the shelter and the mutts, I don't know what it will grow up to look like or how big....

Looking around is hard.....cause I am impulsive and I loveeeeee puppies........and I need to not bring home more than one lol.  Any dog I get will be a house dog, with access to a fenced in yard.....he also needs to fit through the doggie door so I don't have to tear a wall down lol.

Thanks a lot guys.........was a great help

You too?  I have to open the message box, get a cursor, then go back and hit the quote button.

I like beagle/spaniel mixed mutts.  Can be housebroken like a spaniel, are friendly like beagles, and they can keep Midwest off my lawn![tongue]

6 hours ago, Wulf & Dove said:

Its not a bug, it only started when I updated windows........that I know for a fact lol

Same for me. But I do think it's a bug, just not one that has anything to do with the people who work on this game or forum, but with Windows itself.

To me, a bug is anything unintentionally created that has unintended consequences, whether or not one finds the result to be good or bad.

When you next for ages and finally find decent crowns, win 400 crowns breaking your new crown threshold, log off an within minutes get attacked and turns out you've been  100%ed and lost 500 crowns again ... [sleep]

Edited by RecklessViking

24 minutes ago, RecklessViking said:

When you next for ages and finally find decent crowns, win 400 crowns breaking your new crown threshold, log off an within minutes get attacked and turns out you've been  100%ed and lost 500 crowns again ... [sleep]

(HUG)

When you go to sleep and wake up the next morning seeing you won two defs for +153 :D ...but lost the third by being revenged by someone you saved troops on for -685. [crying] The second def win was 34%. 1% more and I would have had back to back 4hr pts to make it through the night. [sleep]