skh812

Quotes You Love

Hello!  I am starting a thread for people to post any quotes they love, or find inspirational, or exciting, or scary..... Anything that makes you think and feel.  They can be from books, poems, movies, TV shows, coaches, teachers, friends, family, wherever.  And yes, I keep a quote book around to write down the quotes I love lol.....

"No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness."
-
Mary Wollstonecraft (author, philosopher, feminist activist, mother of Mary Shelley), A Vindication of the Rights of Men (1790)

"The 11th Commandment- 'Thou Shalt Not Bore God.'"
-Rob Brezsny, Pronoia is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World is Conspiring to Shower You With Blessings (2005)

"The higher a man's I.Q., the more likely he is to be feminine in outlook.  The higher a woman's I.Q., the more she is likely to be masculine in outlook."
-Lucius Cervantes, And God Made Man and Woman (1959)

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of the atrocities committed by his own side, he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them."
-George Orwell, Notes on Nationalism (1945)

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought, without accepting it."
-Aristotle, Metaphysics (~350 B.C.E.)

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.  You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions."
-Naguib Mahfouz, Thinking for a Change: Discovering the Power to Create, Communicate and Lead (1996)

"A foolish consistency is the hob-goblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.  With consistency, a great soul has simply nothing to do."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance (1841)

"Conventional people are roused to fury by departure from convention, largely because they regard such departure as a criticism of themselves."
-Bertrand Russell

"You get out of the drug experience only what you put into it.  The "Otherworld" from which you seek illumination is, after all, only your own psyche."
Peter Furst, Flesh of the Gods (1972)

"Strictly speaking, it is incorrect to say that the single individual thinks.  Rather, it is more correct to insist that he participates in thinking further, what other men have thought before him."
-Karl Mannerheim, Ideology and Utopia: An Introduction to the Sociology of Knowledge (1936)

Edited by skh812

Character is like a tree and reputation is like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I will spend 4 sharpening the Axe.

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.

When I do good, I feel good.   When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

It is best not to swap horses while crossing the river.

When you have got an elephant by the hind leg, and he is trying to run away, it's best to let him run.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.

We can not escape history.

Women are the only people I'm afraid of who I never thought would hurt me.

-Abraham Lincoln

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think your a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Do the right thing, It will gratify some people, and astonish the rest.

All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and then success is sure.

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

The lack of money is the root of all evil.

Go to Heaven for the climate, *** for the company.

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Suppose you were an idiot and then suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself.

Man was made at the end of the week's work, when God was tired.

-Mark Twain

These are my two favorite people to quote.  

Edited by Midwest
Famous Midwestern humor.

“There is only one doorway into forever & death keeps the only key." Joan Anglund

The Measure of a Man 

Not “How did he die?”, but “How did he live?” 
Not “What did he gain?”, but “What did he give?” 
These are the units of a man, as a man. To measure the worth, regardless of birth.
Not “What was his station?”, but “Had he a heart?” 
And “How did he play his God-given part?” 
Was he ever ready, with a word of good cheer. To bring back a smile, to banish a tear?
Not “What was his church?” Nor “What was his creed?” 
But “Had he defended those really in need?” 
Not “What did the sketch in the paper say?” 
But “How many were sorry when he passed away?” 

ANONYMOUS

1. "If someone cheats you, do not consider him an enemy. In a way, he is your teacher"
  2. "When nature loses its balance, we see natural disasters like cyclone, earthquake etc. Same way, when human loses his balance he commits mistakes"
  3. “Freedom of speech is unlike love. Love as popularly quoted is never having to say that you are sorry. But in freedom of speech you must be ready to say as many things as you want to, need to, before you say sorry. That too when you are truly convinced you are.”
  4. "A lie should always have some truth in it. Only then, its cover is not blown off"

"I understand that fear is my friend, but not always. Never turn your back on Fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed. My father taught me that, along with a few other things that have kept my life interesting." 
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from Kingdom of Fear : Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century ) 

""The highways are crowded with people who drive as if their sole purpose in getting behind the wheel is to avenge every wrong done them by man, beast or fate. The only thing that keeps them in line is their fear of death, jail and lawsuits." 
-Hunter S. Thompson (Quotes from *** Angels)

"With the truth so dull and depressing, the only working alternative is wild bursts of madness and filigree." 
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 )

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up."  
-Hunter S. Thompson Quotes

"A word to the wise is infuriating. "  

"The greatest mania of all is passion: and I am a natural slave to passion: the balance between my brain and my soul and my body is as wild and delicate as the skin of a Ming vase."  
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from The Curse of Lono )

History is hard to know, because of all the hired *****, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time&and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened. 
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas )

"It was one of those fine little love stories that can make you smile in your sleep at night."  
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes Kingdom of Fear: Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century )

"Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…"  
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes Kingdom of Fear: Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century )

"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." 

"We cannot expect people to have respect for law and order until we teach respect to those we have entrusted to enforce those laws."  

"We are going to punish somebody for this attack, but just who or where will be blown to smithereens for it is hard to say. Maybe Afghanistan, maybe Pakistan or Iraq, or possibly all three at once. Who knows? Not even the Generals in what remains of the Pentagon or the New York papers calling for war seem to know who did it or where to look for them.
 This is going to be a very expensive war, and Victory is not guaranteed--for anyone, and certainly not for a baffled little creep like George W. Bush. All he knows is that his father started the war a long time ago, and that he, the goofy child President, has been chosen by Fate and the global Oil industry to finish it off."  

"Like most others, I was a seeker, a mover, a malcontent, and at times a stupid ***-raiser. I was never idle long enough to do much thinking, but I felt somehow that some of us were making real progress, that we had taken an honest road, and that the best of us would inevitably make it over the top. At the same time, I shared a dark suspicion that the life we were leading was a lost cause, that we were all actors, kidding ourselves along on a senseless odyssey. It was the tension between these two poles - a restless idealism on one hand and a sense of impending doom on the other - that kept me going."  
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes The Rum Diary )

"Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish&a product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow&to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested . . . Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll."  

"Good people drink good beer." 

"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." 

"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." 

"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable"  

"A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance."  

"Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a *** from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether."  

"I was not proud of what I had learned but I never doubted that it was worth knowing." 
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from The Rum Diary )

"There are times, however, and this is one of them, when even being right feels wrong. What do you say, for instance, about a generation that has been taught that rain is poison and s3x is death? If making love might be fatal and if a cool spring breeze on any summer afternoon can turn a crystal blue lake into a puddle of black poison right in front of your eyes, there is not much left except TV and relentless ******. It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat **** and die."  
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the '80's )

"THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"  

"Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio." 

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously." 

"It never got weird enough for me." 

"We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and -- in spite of True Romance magazines -- we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness."  
-Hunter S. Thompson ( The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967 (The Fear and Loathing Letters, Vol. 1) )

"When the going gets weird the weird turn professional."  

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?"  

"Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives... and to the "good life", whatever it is and wherever it happens to be."  
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967 (The Fear and Loathing Letters, Vol. 1) )

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"  

"No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten."  

Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final."
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from Great Shark Hunt (Gonzo Papers, Vol. 1) ) 

"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are ***** until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely."
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from Great Shark Hunt (Gonzo Papers, Vol. 1) ) 

Fiction is based on reality unless you're a fairy-tale artist, you have to get your knowledge of life from somewhere. You have to know the material you're writing about before you alter it. 

First, there's a huge difference between being arrested and being guilty. Second, see, the law changes and I don't. How I stand vis-à-vis the law at any given moment depends on the law. The law can change from state to state, from nation to nation, from city to city. I guess I have to go by a higher law. How's that? Yeah, I consider myself a road man for the lords of karma." 
-Hunter S. Thompson ( Quotes from Salon Interview )

" We've come to a point where every four years this national fever rises up & this hunger for the Saviour, the White Knight, the Man on Horseback & and whoever wins becomes so immensely powerful, like Nixon is now, that when you vote for President today you're talking about giving a man dictatorial power for four years. I think it might be better to have the President sort of like the King of England & or the Queen & and have the real business of the presidency conducted by... a City Manager-type, a Prime Minister, somebody who's directly answerable to Congress, rather than a person who moves all his friends into the White House and does whatever he wants for four years. The whole framework of the presidency is getting out of hand. It's come to the point where you almost can't run unless you can cause people to salivate and whip each other with big sticks. You almost have to be a rock star to get the kind of fever you need to survive in American politics. "

"The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for Peace in Our Time, in the United States or any other country. Make no mistake about it: We are At War now & with somebody & and we will stay At War with that mysterious Enemy for the rest of our lives. "

" We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear & fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer. "

I used to think that music was like lace upon a garment, nice to have but not necessary. I have come to believe that music is absolutely essential to our community life. George Eastman

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas A. Edison

Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble. Good news weakens me. Charles Kettering

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. Thomas A. Edison

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

I do not think you can name many great inventions that have been made by married men. Nikola Tesla

The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter - for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way. Nikola Tesla

If a man has wealth, he has to make a choice, because there is the money heaping up. He can keep it together in a bunch, and then leave it for others to administer after he is dead. Or he can get it into action and have fun, while he is still alive. I prefer getting it into action and adapting it to human needs, and making the plan work. George Eastman

If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance. Orville Wright

You can't have a better tomorrow if you are thinking about yesterday all the time. Charles Kettering

My definition of an educated man is the fellow who knows the right thing to do at the time it has to be done. You can be sincere and still be stupid. Charles Kettering

If at first you don’t succeed, then skydiving is not for you. lol

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. Benjamin Franklin

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Lao Tzu

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. Galileo Galilei

I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. Albert Einstein

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.

Henry Ford

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Frank Herbert, author of 'Dune'

@Wolf & Dove I nodded to all of them [thumbup] - and laughed at the skydiving [lol]

“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

“Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.”

“Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.”

“The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”

“Absolute power does not corrupt absolutely, absolute power attracts the corruptible.”

“Education is no substitute for intelligence.”

“What do you despise? By this are you truly known.”

“When religion and politics travel in the same cart, the riders believe nothing can stand in their way. Their movements become headlong - faster and faster and faster. They put aside all thoughts of obstacles and forget the precipice does not show itself to the man in a blind rush until it's too late.”

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

“Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class -- whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy.”

“The mind can go either direction under stress—toward positive or toward negative: on or off. Think of it as a spectrum whose extremes are unconsciousness at the negative end and hyperconsciousness at the positive end. The way the mind will lean under stress is strongly influenced by training.”

“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”

“Nature does not make mistakes. Right and wrong are human categories.”

--  --  Frank Herbert

"The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself."
-
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message to Congress On Curbing Monopolies (1938)

"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains, but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas."
-
Michel Foucault, Discipline and Punish (1975)

"One-third, more or less, of all the sorrow that the person I think I am must endure is unavoidable.  It is the sorrow inherent in the human condition, the price we pay for being sentient and self-conscious organisms, aspirants to liberation, but subject to the laws of nature and under orders to keep on marching, through irreversible time, through a world entirely indifferent to our well-being, toward decrepitude and the certainty of death.  The remaining two-thirds of sorrow is home-made, and, as far as the universe is concerned, unnecessary."
-
Aldous Huxley (as The Old Raja), Island (1962)

"If only it were so simple!  If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them.  But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being.  And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago (1973)

"I call the high and light aspects of my being Spirit, and the dark and heavy aspects Soul.  Soul is at home in the deep, shaded valleys.  Heavy, torpid flowers saturated with black grow there.  The rivers flow like warm syrup.  Spirit is a land of high, white peaks and glittering jewel-like lakes and flowers.  Life is sp@rse and sounds travel great distances."
-The Dalai Lama XIV

"The surest way to work up a crusade in favor of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone.  To be able to destroy with good conscience, to be able to behave badly and call your bad behavior "righteous indignation"- this is the height of psychological luxury, the most delicious of moral treats."
-Aldous Huxley, Crome Yellow (1921)

"God and F*** are so much alike, they might be synonymous glories.  I'd even go so far as to say 'God is the F*** of all F***s.'"
-
James Broughton, Special Deliveries: New and Selected Poems (1990)

"The world is run by those who can't make love, or do it badly.  That is why the world is in trouble."
-
Guneli Gun, On the Road to Baghdad (1991)

"If you steal $10 from a man's wallet, you are likely to get into a fight.  But if you steal Billions from the Commons, co-owned by him and his descendants, he may not even notice."
-Walter Hickel (former Secretary of the Interior)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain- and most fools do."
-
Dale Carnegie, How to Win Friends and Influence People (1936)

Edited by skh812

6 hours ago, Bloodborne said:

"If one day speed kills me, don't cry, because I will smile" - Paul Walker

I thought of hitting the 'like' button on this - but just can't bring myself to press it (too close to home). Sorry Blood.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts