skh812

Quotes You Love

5 армия не победима? не думаю.... прости но вклад союзников во второй мировой- минимальный. всё таки победил СССР, и победил бы без союзников.

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action; and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique.  And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium, and will be lost."
-Martha Graham (famous dancer and choreographer)

"I'm being quite useful! This thing is a Thneed!  A Thneed's a Fine-Something-That-All-People-Need!"
-The Once-ler, from The Lorax, Dr. Seuss

"What we do for ourselves dies with us; what we do for others and for the world remains and is immortal."
-Albert Pine

"We hate some persons because we do not know them, and will not know them because we hate them."
-Charles Caleb Colton

"Art should be offensive.  At least, art should be allowed to be offensive.  It ought to be forbidden to ignorant innocents, never allowed into contact with those not sufficiently prepared.  Yes, art is dangerous."
-Pablo Picasso

"The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka! I have found it!', but rather, 'That's funny.....' "
-Isaac Asimov

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die, anymore than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."
-George Bernard Shaw

“A blade of grass is a commonplace on Earth; it would be a miracle on Mars. Our descendants on Mars will know the value of a patch of green. And if a blade of grass is priceless, what is the value of a human being?”  Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:56 AM, Dudeist Priest said:

However...

Yesterday never happened and tomorrow will never come; it is ALWAYS today...

If you want, you can keep condensing that down until you finally get to NOW, it is always, NOW, every other time is a figment of your imagination...

This is similar to the, "Infinite distance between any two objects" paradox, AKA the Dichotomy paradox, you never actually move anywhere, motion is just an illusion...

Heck, I can go one further and tie in the game...

Remember when the LBs took down walls and keeps like butter?  Remember they were nerfed?  Want to know why?!?!?

One of the Devs realised the arrows could never move... so they nerfed them...:blink:

Dude, too much on-topic for off-topic.  :)

"If we eliminate space, all we have is here; if we eliminate time, all we have is now.  In the middle of here and now, don't you think we might run across each other once in a while?"  [Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, about 1970]

Sorry if someone already did this.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:09 PM, skh812 said:

"Only after the last tree has been cut down.  Only after the last river has been poisoned.  Only after the last fish has been caught.  Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten."
-Cree Prophecy

"The day Paradise put up a parking lot"       Joni Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi, back in the day.

Agreeing, not trying to cap.  lol

To add something to this thread, I had to actually go and look something up:

the quote "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting it to come out different" is a misattribution to both Franklin and Einstein. According to Google news archive, the earliest news article attributing the quote to Franklin is from 2004 [4]. The earliest attribution to Einstein is 1998 [5]. By contrast, the earliest Google news article that attributes "time is money" to Franklin is 1849 [6]

The earliest news article in Google's archives that has the quote "The definition of insanity is doing the same...." is 1991 to Zamberletti of the Vikings. He said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing year after year and expecting different results" [7]

The earliest reference to "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" is 1989 to david boswell [8]

The earliest reference to "the definition of insanity is doing..." is 1986 to Tony Elliott of the New Orleans Saints when he said "the definition of insanity is doing over and over again things that can kill you"

I don't actually care who gets the credit for this one! 

And, while I was looking (on WikiQuotes) I also found:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, attr Benjamin Franklin, but maybe not.  With that as a philosophy, who cares who said it after the 5th one?

Edit:   maybe this should be in the beer thread

Edited by Dave0564
Off Off-topic

1 hour ago, Dave0564 said:

Dude, too much on-topic for off-topic.  :)

"If we eliminate space, all we have is here; if we eliminate time, all we have is now.  In the middle of here and now, don't you think we might run across each other once in a while?"  [Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, about 1970]

Annnddd...  If you consider that space and time are one and the same, "spacetime", then here and now are interchangeable...

We consider valid questions to be, How, What, Where and Why, When, but I say all but one are invalid...

• How? -- Valid question, as in, "How is the Sky Blue?"...
  • What? -- Invalid question, totally subjective...
  • Where? -- Invalid question, totally subjective... So even "Here" is invalid to say...
  • Why? -- Invalid question, there are too many parameters, some are knowable, some are known unknowables, some are unknown unknowables, you will drive yourself mad if you try to answer this question.  If someone asks "Why is the sky blue" it is impossible to answer, we would need to go back to the big bang, Butttttt... if we reframe the question as, "How is the sky blue?", that is a valid and answerable question...
  • When?  -- Invalid question, 100% totally subjective, AKA relativity... Again, "Now" is invalid to say...

Point being, if you can not find the answer you are looking for, try reframing it, or... look at the question and see if the words are correct or even if it is a valid question to ask in the first place...

"Always take your job seriously -- never yourself." ~ Dwight Eisenhower

"I had no shoes and complained -- until I met a man who had no feet" ~ Unknown

"The world is divided into people who do things and people wo get the credit. Try if you can to belong to the first class. There is far less competition." ~ Dwight Morrow

Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody’s face but their own.”

JONATHAN SWIFT (1667-1745)

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” ABRAHAM LINCOLN (1809-1865)
Edited by Desoltefiber35

On ‎2016‎/‎06‎/‎03 at 8:17 PM, skh812 said:

"To laugh is to risk appearing a fool, to weep is to risk appearing sentimental.  To reach out to another is to risk involvement, to expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self.  To place your ideas and dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss.  To love is to risk not being loved in return.  To hope is to risk despair, to try is to risk failure.    But risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing.  He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he cannot learn, feel, change, grow, or live.  Chained by his servitude, he is a slave who has forfeited all freedom."

put this on my grave stone

with FREE in bold caps......

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts