SpelerWeetIkHoeveel

Beer! Beer! Beer!

Founders is a good beer company located in Michigan. I haven't tried something from them I haven't liked yet... This is one of my favorites though, especially this time of year when it's getting nice enough to sit outside and enjoy a good smoke and a beer, but you still want something a bit hearty because it ain't exactly warm out yet...

(didn't want to see this good thread get "Archived")

2I1utm9.png

This is a local L.A. Ca brewery, went there with some friends yesterday, They had some very nice high gravity beers.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/525449d3e4b0e9fd10b48a1c/t/578fa7993e00befe25154f32/1469032354762/?format=750w

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/525449d3e4b0e9fd10b48a1c/t/56707a331c121098acf7c40b/1450211909959/?format=750w

Also an excellent Russian Imperial Stout and a Boysenberry Stout (tasted like a berry wine and 11.4% ABV).

Edited by Scythian Fury

2 hours ago, Chuggles22 said:

That looks like a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka above your head, @Subhajit Roy

You all must've had a grand old time setting that up [thumbup]

@Chuggles22 you are pure alcoholic!! Yes it is magic moment, a vodka..

Oh. That was not me. I was the drunken cameraman!!

If my mom ask about the pic, tell her that all bottles are yours, and it was the project. Otherwise mom will break all bottles on my head..

On ‎24‎-‎06‎-‎2017 at 8:05 PM, Scythian Fury said:

Now, THAT is a work of art!!!![thumbup][lol]

We are the ENGINEERS, We can do anything! Sometimes we do spell mistake of ENGENEERS. But we are the ENGENEERS..

Edited by Subhajit Roy

2 hours ago, Subhajit Roy said:

@Chuggles22 you are pure alcoholic!! Yes it is magic moment, a vodka..

Oh. That was not me. I was the drunken cameraman!!

We are the ENGINEERS, We can do anything! Sometimes we do spell mistake of ENGENEERS. But we are the ENGENEERS..

LMAO!!! No, I just used to work in bars... which can actually do quite a LOT to turn one away from drinking. And I got the brand wrong anyways

My old stand-by's:

qIfu6Sq.jpg

^Brewed right near my old high school. I'm not into humiliating Scots (Scotsmen?). It's just a great beer. :)^

w8n23k1.jpg

^Aside from boring ol' Blue Moon, this was the only hefeweizen (my favorite type of beer) available in most places where I grew up. Still love it, though! If I'm not mistaken, that's pronounced "HOO-gar-ten." Please correct me if that's incorrect haha.^

And I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with World of Beer, the restaurant/bar, but they used to serve a hefeweizen that was my favorite beer ever! Can't remember what it was called or find any info about it, although I didn't look for long. I just remember the menu clearly stating that the correct pronunciation is, "HAY-fet-veye-zen." Is that correct? This being America, I'm used to hearing and saying, "HEFF-eh-WIZE-en."

Sapporo and Asahi are delicious, too. All manners of oversized Asian beers that came in meter-long bottles made their way through my liver, as well. Gotta love BevMo and Total Wine!

Now I'm frustrated by not being able to find information or photos of the oversized Asian beers that I so enjoyed. I don't remember any brand names, so it's difficult to find any results through Google. I've got to ask the fellow beer drinkers of this community, were these gigantic Asian beers just a fad that I happened to shop during? Does anyone else remember them? They came in tall, skinny, somewhat champagne or chardonnay-shaped bottles near the ends of the aisles (Thinking of BevMo and Total Wine here) that the fancy, non-refrigerated individual beers were sold in. The bottles were always brown glass and anywhere from 1.5-4 feet in length (No idea how many ounces. How long's a piece of string? :P), they usually cost anywhere from $20-$100 USD, and they were ridiculously impractical to refrigerate, rinse out, and recycle. I haven't been to a fancy liquor store in years, so I have no idea if this is a phenomenon that has disappeared since my beer days, or if these beers are just so unpopular that they don't even have an internet presence.

Thoughts, anyone?

On 7-7-2017 at 5:38 AM, Something Gross said:

w8n23k1.jpg

^Aside from boring ol' Blue Moon, this was the only hefeweizen (my favorite type of beer) available in most places where I grew up. Still love it, though! If I'm not mistaken, that's pronounced "HOO-gar-ten." Please correct me if that's incorrect haha.^

And I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with World of Beer, the restaurant/bar, but they used to serve a hefeweizen that was my favorite beer ever! Can't remember what it was called or find any info about it, although I didn't look for long. I just remember the menu clearly stating that the correct pronunciation is, "HAY-fet-veye-zen." Is that correct? This being America, I'm used to hearing and saying, "HEFF-eh-WIZE-en."

Sapporo and Asahi are delicious, too. All manners of oversized Asian beers that came in meter-long bottles made their way through my liver, as well. Gotta love BevMo and Total Wine!

Hi @Something Gross,

I'm Belgian and couldn't resist to give a bit more explanation about our 'Hoegaarden' [smile]

Although it's 'white' beer as well, it's NOT hefeweissen. The Belgian Hoegaarden is brewed differently than the mostly German hefeweissen beers. There is more hop used and the wheat isn't malted. I know, just details but important ones if you come from this part of the world and enjoy a good beer once in a while ;)

It's pronounced like it's written except that the 'oe' in Dutch pronounces 'oo' in English so you were right about that [thumbup]

There are good German Hefeweissen beers as well of course. The ones my husband really likes are 'Erdinger' and 'Franziskaner'. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor erdinger weissbier fotoAfbeeldingsresultaat voor franziskaner foto

On 7/21/2017 at 1:57 AM, Smirky said:

I'm Belgian and couldn't resist to give a bit more explanation about our 'Hoegaarden' [smile]

Although it's 'white' beer as well, it's NOT hefeweissen. The Belgian Hoegaarden is brewed differently than the mostly German hefeweissen beers. There is more hop used and the wheat isn't malted. I know, just details but important ones if you come from this part of the world and enjoy a good beer once in a while ;)

It's pronounced like it's written except that the 'oe' in Dutch pronounces 'oo' in English so you were right about that [thumbup]

There are good German Hefeweissen beers as well of course. The ones my husband really likes are 'Erdinger' and 'Franziskaner'.

Howdy, Smirky!

Thank you for the information! I wasn't aware there were wheat- or white- beers that aren't hefeweissens. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but it's always fascinating to learn about! Also, thank you for confirming my pronunciation of Hoegaarden. I've gone a good ten years telling people "'Ho-garden', 'Hoo-garten', I don't know but it's worth the price." That price being about $15USD (~€12.86) for a six pack last time I checked, unfortunately. Last time I saw it on tap in a pub, it was $6.50USD (~€5.57) for one freakin' pint.

I LOVE Erdinger! The day I turned 21, the legal drinking age here, I went to BevMo and Total Wine, the ritzy Wal-Marts of liquor stores, and spent hundreds of dollars on as wide of a variety of drinks as I could. I tossed a bottle each of the three varieties of Erdinger that both stores carries into my cart without thinking much. I ended up enjoying them so much that I invited my best friend over to share my open beers with me ASAP haha. They were their original Weissbier, Kristall, and Dunkel (my favorite :)). Franziskaner looks familiar. but I can't say for sure that I've tried it.

Much of my beer knowledge is dated, though. Around where I live (or, lived at the time of my beer-buying height) good beers became too expensive. And although I like a nice white beer for it's clean taste, I really dislike the pilsners and whatnot that are so popular here, which are also known for their clean taste. Hopefully this is a crowd in which no one needs to be told, "If Bud Lite is your favorite beer, then you don't like beer."

In the end, I started brewing my own with a cheap little kit. If anyone reading is considering starting to take on brewing, do a LOT of research first. It does end up being less expensive after a few successful batches, but it is such. a pain. in the ***. The sterilization is the worst. Buuuut, I must say, most of the best beers I've had were ones that I brewed. I even got my entire 1.5-mile dirt driveway re-graded (leveled, pot holes filled) in exchange for 12 one-liter bottles of a honey beer I experimented with. Plus, it gives you the means to give a truly unique gift to, say, a new neighbor, and you get to use that equipment for all sorts of things. Haha good example: I can tell I'm trailing off because I've just had a glass of wine that I fermented in the same carboy jug I ferment beer in. It's fun pop open those Grolsch-style swing-top bottles over and over. Wine's just sooo much easier. :P

Just curious, @Smirky or anyone else reading, have y'all ever made your own beer or wine? Please don't incriminate yourself with (surely awesome) stories of distilling unless it's legal where you did it. :D

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts