SpelerWeetIkHoeveel

Beer! Beer! Beer!

1 hour ago, Something Gross said:

Just curious, @Smirky or anyone else reading, have y'all ever made your own beer or wine? Please don't incriminate yourself with (surely awesome) stories of distilling unless it's legal where you did it. :D

Not me exactly, but my ex-wife would make wine with a friend of hers form grapes collected from both of our properties. Honestly, it was the most god-awful wine I ever tasted in my life [bored]. Not that I ever told her that. I just drank it and complemented her on how great it was lol

1 minute ago, Chuggles22 said:

Not me exactly, but my ex-wife would make wine with a friend of hers form grapes collected from both of our properties. Honestly, it was the most god-awful wine I ever tasted in my life [bored]. Not that I ever told her that. I just drank it and complemented her on how great it was lol

Hahaha no surprise there. My first few wine batches were the equivalent of red urine. Good on you for being a good sport, though haha. I had tried following recipes online and didn't find success until I went back to basics and worked up from there. "Basics" being pouring a pouch of baking yeast into a jug of Welch's concord grape juice haha. Nowadays, I'm friends with many of the local vintners and grape farmers, so I have access to a quality foundation, and I've learned to use Champagne yeast every time. It's (in case you didn't know) unique for being able to produce 20% ABV before dying. But, doing something to kill the yeast early on, like refrigerating your jug for example, creates a complex flavor and leaves more of the flavor of the grapes behind than if you had used regular wine yeast (I don't know what it's called haha) to get it to the same %ABV naturally. Plus, it usually leaves a bit of carbonation in there, which I enjoy, but can be removed via simply shaking the jug enough times. Also, for anyone struggling to make good-tasting home made wine in a hurry, try making mead. I say there is no bad-tasting mead haha.

Oh yeah, uh, and it should probably be expressed no matter how much it may feel implied by the nature of this thread, DO NOT make your own booze if you are under the legal drinking age where you live and/or if it's illegal to do so there regardless of age. The US allows people 21 years and older to make their own beer and wine, but distillation is a felony, for example. There are countries with the drinking age being 14 and other countries that don't care if you distill your own hard liquor, just a couple other examples. Do your legal research first. And always keep in mind that alcohol is a slippery slope, so don't take these discussions as any sort of sign that it's safe to let loose pounding bottomless plastic jugs of giant-garbage-can-corn-beer and still carry on a normal, healthy life. It's up to you, the reader, to practice moderation and be responsible.

That being said, cheers! Or, as we like to say around where I live, ***********************************! [lol]

My grandmother had a huge garden, we grew everything and what didn't get canned or sold at the local market wound up in a jug. We had two types of grapes, a very old variety called Kokur, originally brought to the region by ancient greeks, and a darker Isabella grape. So, two big jugs of those wines. Then we also had all sorts of fruit trees and berry bushes, so of course there were a few wine jugs each from most of those.

We have a very good homebrewers association here in WLA, my latest favorite is a 19%+ Unfiltered Triple Bock one of the guys made. The Assoc. president is a good friend of mine and runs a homebrewing shop, he was just complaining to me last week about how his buisness has dropped off recently due to all the local artesanal breweries hiring on many of his customers as regular staff.

And we have a lot of local breweries, Stone is my favorite and Lagunitas second. Check them out if you can.

These next two are in my fridge right now. :D

Imperial-Stout-Lagunitas-22oz-Bottle.png

Maximus-Lagunitas-12oz-Bottle.png

Edited by Scythian Fury

17 hours ago, Something Gross said:

Howdy, Smirky!

Thank you for the information! I wasn't aware there were wheat- or white- beers that aren't hefeweissens. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but it's always fascinating to learn about! Also, thank you for confirming my pronunciation of Hoegaarden. I've gone a good ten years telling people "'Ho-garden', 'Hoo-garten', I don't know but it's worth the price." That price being about $15USD (~€12.86) for a six pack last time I checked, unfortunately. Last time I saw it on tap in a pub, it was $6.50USD (~€5.57) for one freakin' pint.

I LOVE Erdinger! The day I turned 21, the legal drinking age here, I went to BevMo and Total Wine, the ritzy Wal-Marts of liquor stores, and spent hundreds of dollars on as wide of a variety of drinks as I could. I tossed a bottle each of the three varieties of Erdinger that both stores carries into my cart without thinking much. I ended up enjoying them so much that I invited my best friend over to share my open beers with me ASAP haha. They were their original Weissbier, Kristall, and Dunkel (my favorite :)). Franziskaner looks familiar. but I can't say for sure that I've tried it.

Much of my beer knowledge is dated, though. Around where I live (or, lived at the time of my beer-buying height) good beers became too expensive. And although I like a nice white beer for it's clean taste, I really dislike the pilsners and whatnot that are so popular here, which are also known for their clean taste. Hopefully this is a crowd in which no one needs to be told, "If Bud Lite is your favorite beer, then you don't like beer."

In the end, I started brewing my own with a cheap little kit. If anyone reading is considering starting to take on brewing, do a LOT of research first. It does end up being less expensive after a few successful batches, but it is such. a pain. in the ***. The sterilization is the worst. Buuuut, I must say, most of the best beers I've had were ones that I brewed. I even got my entire 1.5-mile dirt driveway re-graded (leveled, pot holes filled) in exchange for 12 one-liter bottles of a honey beer I experimented with. Plus, it gives you the means to give a truly unique gift to, say, a new neighbor, and you get to use that equipment for all sorts of things. Haha good example: I can tell I'm trailing off because I've just had a glass of wine that I fermented in the same carboy jug I ferment beer in. It's fun pop open those Grolsch-style swing-top bottles over and over. Wine's just sooo much easier. :P

Just curious, @Smirky or anyone else reading, have y'all ever made your own beer or wine? Please don't incriminate yourself with (surely awesome) stories of distilling unless it's legal where you did it. :D

I must admit to be lucky living in this country and have those beers for a better price. We buy Hoegaarden in an eight pack and pay €5.00 for it (about $5.82USD). @AnotherRiddle told me what he had to pay for Karmeliet in Australia (see earlier in this thread) and it was a big difference as well. 

It's good to read the Dunkel is your favorite, because I personally like it too. I enjoyed a pilsner beer only once: in the first year of my studies to become an engineer, we were 'baptised'. It was a very stressfull but fun evening and at the end we all got a beer. It tasted like the best thing I ever had. 

I never made wine or beer myself (probably too busy tasting the existing ones ;)).

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts