Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plus2Joe

New Reputation Limits

Recommended Posts

Hey folks!

Recently we implemented a new feature tracking numbers of likes per user, revamping the importance of the forums' reputation system. We couldn't have predicted how popular this would turn out to be!

We want to make sure to keep things fair in the forums, and make sure the reputation system helps encourage great communication and insightful posting. To that end, we're instituting a limit on the number of reputation points a given user can hand out in one day. Once you've given 100 points of reputation, you'll have to wait until the next day to like more posts.

We hope this change will help everyone continue to feel that their reputation points matter. This likely won't affect most people, but we welcome your feedback! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only the big kids with the paychecks can post announcements, so I can't put this Reputation Level post in this subforum, so a link to it in a thread will have to suffice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, east puppet said:

 I just hope a few bad apples don't ruin this  but it already been seen that some like to pad their stats or others [sad]

If it gets bad, we will throttle it.  I was actually tossing around the idea of giving everyone just 10 votes per day.  That would make them count.  But that's probably taking it too far.  20 maybe.  Or 50.  Or 100. I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, Plus2Joe said:

Hey folks!

Recently we implemented a new feature tracking numbers of likes per user, revamping the importance of the forums' reputation system. We couldn't have predicted how popular this would turn out to be!

We want to make sure to keep things fair in the forums, and make sure the reputation system helps encourage great communication and insightful posting. To that end, we're instituting a limit on the number of reputation points a given user can hand out in one day. Once you've given 100 points of reputation, you'll have to wait until the next day to like more posts.

We hope this change will help everyone continue to feel that their reputation points matter. This likely won't affect most people, but we welcome your feedback! 

I just like to interact with others, gaining a point here or there matters none to me,  just being able to share and like what others share is most important, shows someone out there actually looks, reads or has a comment toward a post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:01 PM, Andy P said:

If it gets bad, we will throttle it.  I was actually tossing around the idea of giving everyone just 10 votes per day.  That would make them count.  But that's probably taking it too far.  20 maybe.  Or 50.  Or 100. I don't know.

20 sounds like more of the sweet spot so people can be more judicious with their likes and the system would be less open to manipulation since the daily leader is almost always lately double what that cap would be. Let some of the more helpful posts rise to the top would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mmali386 said:

20 sounds like more of the sweet spot so people can be more judicious with their likes and the system would be less open to manipulation since the daily leader is almost always lately double what that cap would be. Let some of the more helpful posts rise to the top would be nice.

What are your thoughts on allowing us to give negative points for bad posts?  That's affirmatively an option on this software, though we've never had it engaged. Not sure the professionals would let us, but I think it would encourage good posts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Andy P said:

What are your thoughts on allowing us to give negative points for bad posts?  That's affirmatively an option on this software, though we've never had it engaged. Not sure the professionals would let us, but I think it would encourage good posts. 

I thought about it before but it could end up being worse than the current issue we have right now with too many likes. Might have people out of spite go downvoting through someone's post history and create alt accounts with the sole purpose to downvote someone. Plus since its a support forum, you're gonna have a lot of frustrated less eloquent players come in with those kind of posts and get slapped with negative score their first post and never come back.

If yall do decide to do downvotes, I'd try to cut the maximum of downvotes a day to a cap of much less than the limit of likes and if its possible and only allow someone the ability to downvote after reaching a certain reputation score (100, 200, 500 or whatever level that gives enough people a downvote but high enough to not have to worry about troll accounts).

20 might be a bit low on the likes. I'd go with whatever is half the daily average winner (not including the absurdly high winners) so maybe 40 maybe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't brought it upstairs. I don't get the sense they would want to mess with the forum too much, though I bet if we started pushing politely for changes, they'd consider it. 

Actually, there seem to be a number of cool forum gadgets on the horizon. Invision is dropping a patch this summer with some nifty things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PleasedClown463 said:

If the leader board is a problem why not just turn it off, we went how long without it.

Its not just the leaderboard per se but the forums are getting flooded with likes and this is just a way of trying to get more helpfulness and meaningfulness out of likes to better gauge the quality of a post. The nice thing about the leaderboard and the stats that go with it(I'm a sucker for stats [rolleyes]) is its a spotlight and a recap of sorts for the best posts and posters of the day but it also shines a light on the ones trying to inflate their likes for whatever reason. Red flags are the ones on the leaderboard with no highly rated posts for the day.

Btw what happened to your win on April 30th? Seems like something changed when the like limit was put in and the system now counts likes for any comment posted within the cutoff that day instead of before where it counted any like given within that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mmali386 said:

Its not just the leaderboard per se but the forums are getting flooded with likes and this is just a way of trying to get more helpfulness and meaningfulness out of likes to better gauge the quality of a post. The nice thing about the leaderboard and the stats that go with it(I'm a sucker for stats [rolleyes]) is its a spotlight and a recap of sorts for the best posts and posters of the day but it also shines a light on the ones trying to inflate their likes for whatever reason. Red flags are the ones on the leaderboard with no highly rated posts for the day.

Btw what happened to your win on April 30th? Seems like something changed when the like limit was put in and the system now counts likes for any comment posted within the cutoff that day instead of before where it counted any like given within that day.

I think it was a last minute scramble   the devs said "oh no we cant have a clown win"  so they stuffed the ballet [laugh]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      24236
    • Total Posts
      244599