Baroness Von Panda

Update from Smoking Gun Interactive

Recommended Posts

This reminds me of every time Microsoft said that Windows Mobile was going to he supported. [thumbdn]

 I believe that the number of users isn't exactly  huge, and the profit isn't really "much." The only hope for this game  depends on its success on Android. If that happens and the game becomes popular, we might get updates. Otherwise, this game is done for. 6 months should be enough to determine that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i kinda feared this wd happen...MS is always late in pushing updates and now they perforce their bad habit to even other game developers under them...i had to wait out three months after the release of creators update to get it on my PC with more than compatible system requirements...and now seems to me that the plague has spread far and wide...oh please bring up the concept of "alliance wars". I'm sure it will solve the gold buying and player retention issues for sure. I'm gonna wait for three months more (at least that's how many months I need to complete this game as of now). Hopefully they come up with the concept of alliance wars...c'mon guys if COC devs can do it then it's easy for u guys...go SGI!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Baroness Von Panda said:

Hi everyone,

I know that you've been waiting to hear from us about the future of Age of Empires: Castle Siege, and it's important to us that our players aren't left feeling like they're in the dark. 

The short version is that right now, we don't have any updates for you. I know that you've heard this in various forms from me lately, but I'm going to take this opportunity to expand a little upon this.  The creation of Castle Siege is, in very basic terms, collaborative. This means that any decisions made about the state of the game or updates to it, are made jointly by both parties.

I wish we could tell you more, but right now that's simply all there is to tell. All of us here at Smoking Gun Interactive & Microsoft appreciate you, our players, and the time and love you've invested in to playing the game we've created. We’re grateful that you’re on this journey with us!

 

1 hour ago, Abhishek PR said:

i kinda feared this wd happen...MS is always late in pushing updates and now they perforce their bad habit to even other game developers under them...i had to wait out three months after the release of creators update to get it on my PC with more than compatible system requirements...and now seems to me that the plague has spread far and wide...oh please bring up the concept of "alliance wars". I'm sure it will solve the gold buying and player retention issues for sure. I'm gonna wait for three months more (at least that's how many months I need to complete this game as of now). Hopefully they come up with the concept of alliance wars...c'mon guys if COC devs can do it then it's easy for u guys...go SGI!!!

it's simple, there will by nothing, same as for win mobile [sad] for same way I abandon my Lumia 950 DS [thumbdn] this game will be next in some time [mad]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tankdriver said:

Well, looks like me coming back was a waste of time and effort... [sad]

Nah, I've seen quite a few "older" players coming back.  I think they smell something in the air.  Hopefully, we won't be disappointed.  It seems that previous updates were just as quiet--except we had Andy providing stats that it was about time for a drop and we'd all get anxious.  Remember, too, the Baroness isn't the Empress.  Her way of doing things (as well as the new devs) might just be a little different.  I can't see them leaving Age X hanging where it is--especially since they upgraded the number of pennants you can store.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all understand the shared responsibility of Smoking Gun Interactive and Microsoft.

Castle Siege has tremendous potential, but there will never be a massive number of players, nor will they reap significant financial benefits, because the investment of these last two years has been virtually nonexistent.

Nothing has been invested in the game, 99.99% of the suggestions of players and emperors have been pending for 2 years.

The game is completely sloppy, and looks like a game created 20 years ago and not today.

I have repeated successively that it is noted and much that no developer of the game, or anyone from Microsoft Studios, have played the game, have led alliances and groups of alliances.

The downside is that even if they did not play, if they were imaginative, they would realize the absurd consequences, and the enormous shortcomings of playing Castle Siege, as it exists today.

It has not invested in publicizing the game, like any great game, which is massified because there are huge investments in all media.

There are even international big game tournaments, with great prizes for the best, and semi-professional players.

The situation is so ridiculous that when searching on Google for Age of Empires does not propose Castle Siege as an option, it is as if the game does not exist.

My personal opinion remains that the best option would be to completely redo the game engine for a completely modern and social one, and completely develop Castle Siege on the new engine of the game, and offer us an authentic Castle Siege 2.

I end by thanking the courage of @Baroness Von Panda to give us such bad news.

I hope you understand that for many years, who is the customer, and these two years we were treated as if we were trash.

And we are the only thing that has the game, which should embarrass a Smoking Gun Interactive and Microsoft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone else here has lived through the death of a beloved game-as-a-service, they will surely also attest that sometimes funding just gets pulled and even obvious minor fixes you can't imagine the Devs would leave hanging can just hang. 

When it's over, it's over. A game-as-a-service is like one of those tomato plants you can buy at a greenhouse.

When you start, it's small and full of potential. The Devs water it with funding, and it grows quickly and bears fruit. Of course you always see more branches that could blossom if they gave it just a little more water and a little more time. And some of them do.  Things are going well.  You are convinced that every branch will grow to the sky.  It certainly is looking that way.

But eventually the tomatoes grow slower and smaller. Your plant still seems quite healthy. You fear that it isn't getting enough water, but you tell yourself that it's just getting ready to push again.  Another small tomato or two even grows.  

But without enough water, it eventually starts to dry out and wilt. You keep it on your porch for probably longer than you should have. And then one day you look at it and it's just dead. 

It's a lot less painful and much cheaper to simply buy your tomatoes at the grocery store. But there really isn't anything else like watching them grow on a plant. Being part of it.  So next spring when you see they are selling tomato plants again, you do it all over again. You can't help yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy P said:

If anyone else here has lived through the death of a beloved game-as-a-service, they will surely also attest that sometimes funding just gets pulled and even obvious minor fixes you can't imagine the Devs would leave hanging can just hang. 

When it's over, it's over. A game-as-a-service is like one of those tomato plants you can buy at a greenhouse.

When you start, it's small and full of potential. The Devs water it with funding, and it grows quickly and bears fruit. Of course you always see more branches that could blossom if they gave it just a little more water and a little more time. And some of them do.  Things are going well.  You are convinced that every branch will grow to the sky.  It certainly is looking that way.

But eventually the tomatoes grow slower and smaller. Your plant still seems quite healthy. You fear that it isn't getting enough water, but you tell yourself that it's just getting ready to push again.  Another small tomato or two even grows.  

But without enough water, it eventually starts to dry out and wilt. You keep it on your porch for probably longer than you should have. And the one day you look at it and it's just dead. 

It's a lot less painful and much cheaper to simply buy your tomatoes at the grocery store. But there really isn't anything else like watching them grow on a plant. Being part of it.  So next spring when you see they are selling tomato plants again, you do it all over again. You can't help yourself. 

I'm satisfied now knowing they aren't going to do anything. What was maddening was not knowing. I would never put so much time and money into a Microsoft game again. Burn me once...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andy P said:

It's just mean to leave us hanging. You gotta tell us when it's over. Trajan did us a solid by telling us very early that AoEO was done. We still had 1.5 years left of server life, but it was super cool not to lead us on in silence. 

The assumption here is that no news is bad news, maybe they are in a holding pattern until they see what the Android numbers look like. That kinda thing does happen when Corporate puts a hold on funding. We really don't know, maybe all the doom prophets are right, but then again...We really just don't know.[confused]

Edited by Scythian Fury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to understand that the devs  don't exactly "love" the game the way we do.  They have other things to do, other games to update (they do, right??), and  the game that generates the most profit is the game where their efforts will be directed. However, it's hard to know what their intentions were when they released it for Android, but if the game becomes successful, we'll get something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎-‎8‎-‎2017 at 1:47 AM, Baroness Von Panda said:

Hi everyone,

I know that you've been waiting to hear from us about the future of Age of Empires: Castle Siege, and it's important to us that our players aren't left feeling like they're in the dark. 

The short version is that right now, we don't have any updates for you. I know that you've heard this in various forms from me lately, but I'm going to take this opportunity to expand a little upon this.  The creation of Castle Siege is, in very basic terms, collaborative. This means that any decisions made about the state of the game or updates to it, are made jointly by both parties.

I wish we could tell you more, but right now that's simply all there is to tell. All of us here at Smoking Gun Interactive & Microsoft appreciate you, our players, and the time and love you've invested in to playing the game we've created. We’re grateful that you’re on this journey with us!

Thanks for the update. I find it supporting my decision to limit my in-game activities to "donating troops" to my alliance, for the time being. Without new content, I have little else to play for, and better things to do with my time.

Hopefully, someday, somehow, both parties will find will and funding to expand upon this game, which has given me a huge lot of entertainment. I don't want this journey to end, and there are such great places where we could go, if everybody was on board.

I'll also be reducing my activity in this community, I'll miss some of you but I can do without circle jerking negative spiralling posts of those of us that are still around simmering. I'll merely pop in from time to time to see if there's anything actually new, like new for real. So goodbye for now, hopefully not a farewell.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2017 at 6:47 PM, Baroness Von Panda said:

Hi everyone,

I know that you've been waiting to hear from us about the future of Age of Empires: Castle Siege, and it's important to us that our players aren't left feeling like they're in the dark. 

The short version is that right now, we don't have any updates for you. I know that you've heard this in various forms from me lately, but I'm going to take this opportunity to expand a little upon this.  The creation of Castle Siege is, in very basic terms, collaborative. This means that any decisions made about the state of the game or updates to it, are made jointly by both parties.

I wish we could tell you more, but right now that's simply all there is to tell. All of us here at Smoking Gun Interactive & Microsoft appreciate you, our players, and the time and love you've invested in to playing the game we've created. We’re grateful that you’re on this journey with us!

Can you tell us more today? I mean that was a few days ago you know [rolleyes] There are currently no updates for us. Are we still working on the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      24236
    • Total Posts
      244599