munz

Why are some castles harder than others?

Hi all! I've been playing this awesome game for a few years now and have 3 accounts all at different levels of age 10 and finally have a question:

Why is it that some castles I attack look like an easy 3 star (100%) but then I end up losing the attack. Other castle look really hard and I think 2 stars would be a miracle but then I get 3 (100%).

Some battles flow great where the troops go where you want them to. Other times it seems to take more than one request to do the same thing. Sometimes a group of the same soldier will stick together which makes the battle easier, sometimes they will split up and make the battle harder.

My favorite soldier is the grenadier and I use groups of 3-5 and like to keep them together, great for breaking walls and against defensive troops.  When I see them to start to split up, that is my cue that it will be a hard battle. When they stick together until the end the battle is usually easy. What determines when the group splits up?

I'm starting to believe there is a varying "difficulty level" built into the system regardless of the castle layout. What do you all think?

all the castles have a different level of defense, they're created based in the heroes or the kind of troops that most of the players frecuently use, just only see turtles: they're great to evade Edwards attack because he never will reach to the keep... see terrordome that are created to lock Conrad hability... see tributes that offer an easy keep to take down... this game is awesome because there area great number of castles and their defense strategies

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I think the AI controlling the troops is the most mysterious thing, but the most mysterious thing about it is that the devs managed to make it work at all.

the troops only follow the building/units that are more easy to destroy for them, in example many of siege weapons prefer attack walls than destroy buildings, that's the reason why you find wall magnets, some castles have farms, mills or any other building only to work as a decoy for some troops, most of high level players use those concepts to create effective defenses in their castles

8 minutes ago, BlacklowenXXI said:

most of high level players use those concepts to create effective defenses in their castles

I think most of the high level players know there is no defence against a good attacker.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, BlacklowenXXI said:

all the castles have a different level of defense, they're created based in the heroes or the kind of troops that most of the players frecuently use, just only see turtles: they're great to evade Edwards attack because he never will reach to the keep... see terrordome that are created to lock Conrad hability... see tributes that offer an easy keep to take down... this game is awesome because there area great number of castles and their defense strategies

What I mean is I could attack the exact same castle on 2 different days and the troops would behave differently for each battle.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, Aardvark said:

I think the AI controlling the troops is the most mysterious thing, but the most mysterious thing about it is that the devs managed to make it work at all.

I suspect the AI has a difficulty level applied to each battle, making castles of the same power level easier or harder. For example, there are times when I've had trebs act like there was a "wall box" (the thing that attracts siege weapons) built by the castle owner when in fact there wasn't any.  

15 minutes ago, munz said:

I suspect the AI has a difficulty level applied to each battle, making castles of the same power level easier or harder. 

I can assure you, getting the AI to work at all was quite hard enough, without the devs wanting to add any extra complications.

15 minutes ago, munz said:

For example, there are times when I've had trebs act like there was a "wall box" (the thing that attracts siege weapons) built by the castle owner when in fact there wasn't any.  

That is a case in point. Trebs are notoriously badly behaved, and have a habit of marching away from the battle. The way to treat it is to think it adds to the skills required of the player and to the challenge the game presents.

Edited by Aardvark

22 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I think most of the high level players know there is no defence against a good attacker.

https://imgur.com/UVkfwsg

https://imgur.com/pgU5KTT

recently I made an effective terrordome that made this week more victories in defenses than one or two star defenses and I didn't receive the first 3 star defense since I build my actual castle, some attackers won't fall in the trap but actually this defense it's working very well

31 minutes ago, munz said:

What I mean is I could attack the exact same castle on 2 different days and the troops would behave differently for each battle.

maybe the attacked player do some changes in their defenses, some player have the tendency to change the defense of their castle with each attack received

Edited by BlacklowenXXI

40 minutes ago, BlacklowenXXI said:

recently I made an effective terrordome that made this week more victories in defenses than one or two star defenses and I didn't receive the first 3 star defense since I build my actual castle, some attackers won't fall in the trap but actually this defense it's working very well

Yes, terrordomes are effective against poor attackers and against reasonable attackers when they are half asleep. Normally, however, a decent attacker would get 2* minimum with any combination of heroes.

15 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Yes, terrordomes are effective against poor attackers and against reasonable attackers when they are half asleep. Normally, however, a decent attacker would get 2* minimum with any combination of heroes.

do you call reasonable attacker a player of 10k that fall in my trap?

If he has 10k then yes, he must be at least half decent. Even if he is spending huge wadges of cash and only using Conrad, it is impossible that he has not seen so many terrordomes that he does not know how to deal with them. Your trap is actually pretty good, because you have not designed a standard terrordome which is instantly recognisable. So he only needs to be half asleep and a bit overconfident, and then he can fall into your trap.

11 hours ago, Aardvark said:

So he only needs to be half asleep and a bit overconfident, and then he can fall into your trap.

You are so right! That happened to me once, dunno if it was with @BlacklowenXXI or somebody else. But, we all know the usual designs of TD's and if something looks like a Semi-Tribute or a Turtle, we are only half attentive, tough ;)

I remember, once I had a castle with the 4 corners and only one was with plain wall, in my "overconfidence" I kicked a gate in front of the wall and was wondering why Conrad got stuck [lol]

Edited by DD3399
Nobody is perfect! ;)

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, Aardvark said:

I can assure you, getting the AI to work at all was quite hard enough, without the devs wanting to add any extra complications.

That is a case in point. Trebs are notoriously badly behaved, and have a habit of marching away from the battle. The way to treat it is to think it adds to the skills required of the player and to the challenge the game presents.

Yeah I'm not complaining, the challenge keeps the game interesting. While I'm not sure if a "difficulty level" is built into the system (maybe it's just me having a bad battle day), but I don't know how you could be so sure that it doesn't exist. 

The thing with the trebs is that sometimes they behave badly but sometimes they behave just fine. It's the lack of consistency that makes me think such a mechanism exists.

Another thing I noticed during a battle is that there is a point in the game, somewhere around the middle, when your near the castle, or just destroyed the castle, that things go haywire and the troops become harder to control. 

1 hour ago, munz said:

Yeah I'm not complaining, the challenge keeps the game interesting. While I'm not sure if a "difficulty level" is built into the system (maybe it's just me having a bad battle day), but I don't know how you could be so sure that it doesn't exist. 

The thing with the trebs is that sometimes they behave badly but sometimes they behave just fine. It's the lack of consistency that makes me think such a mechanism exists.

Another thing I noticed during a battle is that there is a point in the game, somewhere around the middle, when your near the castle, or just destroyed the castle, that things go haywire and the troops become harder to control. 

Just random effects generated by the complexity of the situation and the code. Sometimes the AI works in your favour, sometimes it works against you. That does result in a difference in difficulty, but not as result of deliberate intention.

at different time same armies works differently.....thats the only reason sometimes I got 100% with R/H sometimes not.....only reason grands....sometimes they destroy towers sometimes they get out from the inside of the castle to destroy a single building at the outside of the castle even I made room to advance them for next towers....

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts