Recommended Posts

oh, god no.  It just means they are moving on with other things.  SGI develops software. Obviously they havent been doing very much of that in CS for a long time.  As video games have shifted away from being a marketable good and toward a marketable service, eventually the time comes where everyone just moves on.  It's a pretty weird, frankly, but it's how they keep the lights on.

Usually at some point after a shut down is announced, it gets followed up with an annoucned/released title.  I have no idea when AoE4 is coming, but that MS is clearing out the debris is a pretty good sign that they are getting ready ready for something more.

Bear in mind that after AoEO was shut down in July, 2014, AoECS was announced in August and released in September.  Life cycles cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Andy P said:

oh, god no.  It just means they are moving on with other things.  SGI develops software. Obviously they havent been doing very much of that in CS for a long time.  As video games have shifted away from being a marketable good and toward a marketable service, eventually the time comes where everyone just moves on.  It's a pretty weird, frankly, but it's how they keep the lights on.

Usually at some point after a shut down is announced, it gets followed up with an annoucned/released title.  I have no idea when AoE4 is coming, but that MS is clearing out the debris is a pretty good sign that they are getting ready ready for something more.

Bear in mind that after AoEO was shut down in July, 2014, AoECS was announced in August and released in September.  Life cycles cycle.

Incurable optimist!!! [lol]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PleasedClown463 said:

So does this mean that SGI has gone bankrupt?

Nope... Just the game lol.

After they started rewarding so much gold for everything, I suspect it's a matter is Sooner rather than Later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily. This game could still be making money, but just not enough and with too little perspective of increasing the revenue.

It's like keeping cattle for milk. The typical dairy cow is brought to the slaughterhouse at the age of 4 years, while her natural lifespan is 15 to 20 years, during much of which she can still lactate.

But in games, much of that also stems from our own behaviour. Like our appetite for milk spurs the farmer to keep rejuvenating his cattle. We, gamers, kill the games we play, because we fly to each new one like a butterfly from flower to flower. To such an extent that player retention isn't nearly as important as player attraction. If you want to make a killing profit, attracting large amount of players is where it's at first and foremost, followed closely by playing on dopamine releases and some mild gambling. Retention is secondary, important still - no way to milk a cow that's not standing still - but secondary.

So what remains to those that like their games lasting for life, is to play standalone games, or games that are freeware and can be privately hosted.

Or accept that all good things come to an end, and be grateful for the time spent enjoying them. I sure am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PleasedClown463 said:

So does this mean that SGI has gone bankrupt?

Thinking about all those Top Players buying gold over the years staying at the top of the leaderboard...sheesh...I wouldn't be surprised if some of those Devs have enough to retire by now! 🤣

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Baroness Von Panda said:

Hi all :)

Don't worry, SGI is fine! We have other projects including Solitaire, so Castle Siege shutting down doesn't mean we are. We should have a press release out from the studio later today. 

Do they sell gold in that game? So you can buy the Conrad deck🤣 and never lose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.11.2018 at 03:56, truckdriver said:

... So you can buy the Conrad deck🤣 and never lose

Hi, Truckdriver! Welcome to the forum! [blink]

It looks like you're a newbie - if you haven't seen dozens or hundreds of angry posts from ram drivers who were very unhappy with the gate cheat invented by some @Septerror43 [mad] 

We can even assume that it was this that caused such a quick end to this game [scared] 

This is a joke, of course, but - if seriously, there were such players in the game - for example, like me or @east puppet - who could have won at a semi-tribute without heroes, and lost with Conrad. Yes, this requires a certain talent - because losing conram on semi-tribute is not as easy as on dome, but - nothing is impossible -_- 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks as if the forum will be at its best when it is about to be closed. I still don't understand why they pull the plug before they pull the plug! Why couldn't they leave the forum open until 13 May 2019?

Edited by Ragnar Sigurdson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, Baroness Von Panda said:

We should have a press release out from the studio later today. 

And what are the news?

 

Edited by Kicho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, truckdriver said:

Do they sell gold in that game? So you can buy the Conrad deck🤣 and never lose

No, you get awarded useless gold.  Can't use it for anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      24221
    • Total Posts
      244463