dariakus

Pour one out for the good times past - AMA

6 minutes ago, Smashing Gnat said:

Why was @east puppet so bad at attacking, did you put some kind of handicap on him?

Also is it true that Prezident's Men is the greatest ever alliance this game has seen?

And thanks for the game...I loved it. 

I think @dariakussecretly was a closet GoP fan...he just couldn't join due to fears of him showing 'favoritism'...I'm sure you Prez Men boys know a little something about joining on a team with a dev...**cough...PrezSteve...cough** 

So I believe they purposely sabotaged @east puppetattacks to make players believe East was terrible. East always blamed the beer...too bad for him the deck was stacked against him this whole time! 

🤣

18 minutes ago, JMBShadow said:

Is it there still a chance for a similar game coming from SGI? 

You’d have to ask SGI about that one!

13 minutes ago, PleasedClown463 said:

Did the money for development stop before you left or did that happen later?

I don’t want to speak out of turn, but there’s a non-zero chance the two events were related in some way. But the funding and state of the game were not dependent upon my existence nor the primary reason I changed roles. I was sad to go! But my new opportunity has been really awesome too. Playing with holograms!

15 minutes ago, Smashing Gnat said:

Why was @east puppet so bad at attacking, did you put some kind of handicap on him?

Also is it true that Prezident's Men is the greatest ever alliance this game has seen?

And thanks for the game...I loved it. 

No player handicaps exist under the hood despite how many people are/were convinced we did things like that! 

As for the GOAT, I dunno. There were several that had quite a run in the glory days. Who’s top dog nowadays?

9 minutes ago, PleasedClown463 said:

Yep, we are sleeping but will rise again, just waiting on new content! 😉

I have some bad news... ;)

8 minutes ago, MikeR210 said:

I think @dariakussecretly was a closet GoP fan...he just couldn't join due to fears of him showing 'favoritism'...I'm sure you Prez Men boys know a little something about joining on a team with a dev...**cough...PrezSteve...cough** 

So I believe they purposely sabotaged @east puppetattacks to make players believe East was terrible. East always blamed the beer...too bad for him the deck was stacked against him this whole time! 

🤣

The amount of people convinced there was some long-running collusion between the development team and the PM alliance was phenomenal. There really wasn’t anything there. We tried to alleviate those concerns by bringing other alliance leaders into the community mod role, to greater or lesser success.

Prez Steve ran community for the game at launch but was reassigned fairly early on to focus on other titles. I’m not sure he ever even played much a week after launch. And we didn’t have much contact at all after he moved on to other pastures. 

I did enjoy all of the conspiracy theories though!

1 minute ago, truckdriver said:

@dariakus your thoughts on age10?  seems that was when the game went downhill,making def's to strong for most without the help of the most powerful heros

I wasn’t a huge fan of expanding the game vertically. I knew we eventually needed an age 10, and it was built and tuned pretty well by SGI, I think. But I would have preferred more horizontal expansion first (new things to do vs more rungs in the ladder).

My personal favorite ages in game were 5-7. That was the sweet spot in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Kicho said:

Hi @dariakus. Nice to see you.

What's the chance to see a new Age of empires based on mobile devices ? Obviously our days a lot more people use smartphones more than PCs.

:)

Eventually? Probably a sure-thing. I don't know anything about the Age of Empires roadmap beyond Age IV, though, and I'm not allowed to talk about that one :)

1 hour ago, dariakus said:

You’d have to ask SGI about that one!

I don’t want to speak out of turn, but there’s a non-zero chance the two events were related in some way. But the funding and state of the game were not dependent upon my existence nor the primary reason I changed roles. I was sad to go! But my new opportunity has been really awesome too. Playing with holograms!

No player handicaps exist under the hood despite how many people are/were convinced we did things like that! 

As for the GOAT, I dunno. There were several that had quite a run in the glory days. Who’s top dog nowadays?

I have some bad news... ;)

The amount of people convinced there was some long-running collusion between the development team and the PM alliance was phenomenal. There really wasn’t anything there. We tried to alleviate those concerns by bringing other alliance leaders into the community mod role, to greater or lesser success.

Prez Steve ran community for the game at launch but was reassigned fairly early on to focus on other titles. I’m not sure he ever even played much a week after launch. And we didn’t have much contact at all after he moved on to other pastures. 

I did enjoy all of the conspiracy theories though!

Things definitely slowed with forum reported content lately.... In the height of the game the VCM's had to schedule breaks.....

Had a few notable users (no names to be mentioned) that created stirs now and again... but nothing like 2016/17!!!!

Yes, PM definitely had help from the DEVs, it's the only explanation to how they managed to topple Vietnam, who were untouchable...

Then of course USA made quick work of PM..... nuff said.🍹….

I hope everyone here realizes that dariakus was an amazing Emperor of the Age of Empires Franchise. We’ve never before or since had such an active and approachable lead producer. It’s a bit of a shame he helmed what will go down as a forgotten title in the canon. 

But we all owe him.  Sure, he got paid for working. But he didn’t ever have to be that approachable. It’s always hard for a game to survive when the people who created it leave. We’ve seen that happen now twice in two games. 

Thanks, dariakus. I hope you can get some good sieges in before the lights go out forever. 

22 minutes ago, InflamedNut2 said:

Things definitely slowed with forum reported content lately.... In the height of the game the VCM's had to schedule breaks.....

Had a few notable users (no names to be mentioned) that created stirs now and again... but nothing like 2016/17!!!!

Yes, PM definitely had help from the DEVs, it's the only explanation to how they managed to topple Vietnam, who were untouchable...

Then of course USA made quick work of PM..... nuff said.🍹….

That was an epic rivalry. I joined both, and I liked PM better. What's PM name now?

3 minutes ago, Andy P said:

I hope everyone here realizes that dariakus was an amazing Emperor of the Age of Empires Franchise. We’ve never before or since had such an active and approachable lead producer. It’s a bit of a shame he helmed what will go down as a forgotten title in the canon. 

But we all owe him.  Sure, he got paid for working. But he didn’t ever have to be that approachable. It’s always hard for a game to survive when the people who created it leave. We’ve seen that happen now twice in two games. 

Thanks, dariakus. I hope you can get some good sieges in before the lights go out forever. 

If there is someone to blame, it's Microsoft! They ruin most of the nice things they do. :(

1 minute ago, JMBShadow said:

That was an epic rivalry. I joined both, and I liked PM better. What's PM name now?

Never had a PM name.... Was die hard USA for quite some time... @Andy P and I would go round and round at each other here... but did (tried) to keep it constructive. (except for PM trying to skirt the rules without being caught... lol)

We are still PM. We just ran out of gas. After a while, we just couldn’t keep caring about a game its own developers stopped caring about. I don’t mean that to sound harsh or entitled. It’s just that part of the sales pitch was more content and part of the fandom was being there when the new content hit.  Take away that hope and the bottom falls out a bit.  

3 minutes ago, InflamedNut2 said:

Never had a PM name.... Was die hard USA for quite some time... @Andy P and I would go round and round at each other here... but did (tried) to keep it constructive. (except for PM trying to skirt the rules without being caught... lol)

The only advantage we had was that every night, Microsoft would give us all tons of crowns so we stayed in first place for months and months. I never understood how that was cheating. 

21 minutes ago, Andy P said:

Thank you for the kind words! I miss this community more than I miss the rest of the franchise in many ways!

2 hours ago, Andy P said:

I agree with everything above except about Castle Siege being a forgettable title in the AOE universe. It was its first attempt at reaching out to a mobile platform, and that alone will make it stand out. Not only from a gaming expansion standpoint, but also (and mostly) as a learning curve for whatever follows.

Kudos to all you did for us Dariakus. A true players Dev. I suspect a lot of us knew that the best days were officially behind us when you moved on to greener pastures.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts