dariakus

Pour one out for the good times past - AMA

8 minutes ago, dariakus said:

... I'm going to also turn on notifications for this post and turn it into an impromptu AMA. There are some things I won't be able to answer for various and sundry business reasons, but now that the game's closure is announced I should be able to answer quite a lot.

Oh, ok [smile] Then may I can ask - have you run out of pictures with.. deserted balls? [mellow]

19 minutes ago, dariakus said:

wa10c.jpg

Hey - this has been  my business idea for at least 10 years: a tumble weed rental for all these empty towns in the East of Germany.  Plus a guy playing "The Good the Bad and the Ugly on a mouth organ.

Unfortunatly I couldn't raise any venture capital!  :D

5 minutes ago, MikeR210 said:

@dariakus

Sooo...inquiring minds want to know - why did they do Leagues and not some type of Alliance Wars. 

Was Alliance Wars possible? 

Alliance Wars was on the long term design roadmap. Leagues was faster and cheaper to implement, and was a decent stopgap on the way to Alliance Wars... except as everyone knows we never made it to Alliance Wars.

I can't speak for how plans may have changed after I departed in June of 2016, but I can speak to my own roadmaps!

The original design for Alliance Wars was part of an Age of Exploration update that would have, among other things, added the ability for alliances to war for territory on newly discovered islands, in a week-long struggle that involved base building and moving troops around to control hexes on a grid. Whoever held the most territory at the end of the week would win the island. Your alliance would unlock awards based on the number of islands you'd conquered. Could either do random matching between alliances or targeted matching.

I can go into the whole Age of Exploration thing in more depth too, if anyone wants to hear it :)

@dariakus, I miss the days when you were around. Everything was so perfect, we had so much time left...

Anyway, what were the original plans for the game. Was it always meant to die 5 years later?

2 minutes ago, dariakus said:

Alliance Wars was on the long term design roadmap. Leagues was faster and cheaper to implement, and was a decent stopgap on the way to Alliance Wars... except as everyone knows we never made it to Alliance Wars.

I can't speak for how plans may have changed after I departed in June of 2016, but I can speak to my own roadmaps!

The original design for Alliance Wars was part of an Age of Exploration update that would have, among other things, added the ability for alliances to war for territory on newly discovered islands, in a week-long struggle that involved base building and moving troops around to control hexes on a grid. Whoever held the most territory at the end of the week would win the island. Your alliance would unlock awards based on the number of islands you'd conquered. Could either do random matching between alliances or targeted matching.

I can go into the whole Age of Exploration thing in more depth too, if anyone wants to hear it :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. YOU MENTIONING THIS MAKES ME WANT IT MORE. THE IDEA WAS SOOOOO AWESOME. 😕

9 minutes ago, JMBShadow said:

@dariakus, I miss the days when you were around. Everything was so perfect, we had so much time left...

Anyway, what were the original plans for the game. Was it always meant to die 5 years later?

We never built it with the intention for it to die in 5 years! My original intent was a major (almost a 2.0-level) update called the Age of Exploration sometime in 2017. But then that never came to fruition for many various reasons. Not for lack of trying or wanting, though!

I had 3 major content updates on my roadmap at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016. We shipped everything in the first (leagues, improved tutorial, alliance finder, etc.)

The other two were Alliance Wars and Age of Exploration.

Edited by dariakus

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts