MS IamPREZSTEVE

Welcome to the new forums!

Note: Queen Matcha asked me to post my question here. This post is about the foreign sub-forums that used to exist in the AOE: Castle Siege forum.  

Hey,

I'm confused... [huh]

I just noticed that ALL the foreign forums have been deleted (French, German, Spanish, etc.). I had created a presentation topic for my alliance in the French forum but now my topic has been transfered in the general Alliances forum. A notice would have been nice to inform topic creators of that situation... Will this be permanent? If so I'll have to translate the huge presentation post for everybody to understand it and it will take ages... [omg]

Now what? Are the foreign forums gone for good? Will everybody have to speak English everywhere in the forum? What about the thousands of players and forum users who don't speak English? What do you propose for them?

It's gonna be a gigantic mess if everybody starts speaking Spanish, French or Chinese all over the forums...

I'm really surprised by this move from the forum admins... :( I don't think it was the smartest thing to do.

Edited by kingblacklemon

Please make to color palette more reading friendly - there are old people also in the forums (like me)

Light-gray text on bright white background ain't too good for my ol' eyes

Now what? Are the foreign forums gone for good? Will everybody have to speak English everywhere in the forum? What about the thousands of players and forum users who don't speak English? What do you propose for them?

​As part of the effort the clean up the forum structure, yes, the foreign language subforums were deleted, and their content was moved into the corresponding General Discussion subforums.

I don't think this will result in any kind of big mess. While there are many Age of Empires players whose first language is not English, there certainly aren't thousands of non-English speaking forum users; there were about 200 total non-English forum threads started across all boards on the old forums. That kind of traffic doesn't really warrant their own subforums. We opted to remove and consolidate many of the underused subforums into one to make navigation easier, and (hopefully) to encourage more conversation.

For the moment, we're encouraging users to post in English, as we don't really have the bandwidth to moderate other languages. To be completely honest, we didn't really for most of the life of the old forums, either.

Not to be a downer, I mean I like the new look and all, but I'm finding this forum harder to use on Mobile than the last one. Especially when editing text.

​Can you elaborate?

I was elaborating but my text got erased (My fault) so I'll just skip to #2; I keep getting random pop-ups when typing or scrolling. I also just realized that I started typing before I posted the picture, so the picture will post above the text.jynDgxl.pngCool, It didn't happen this time, but it happened with the "reputation limit" picture. 3. Forum buttons seem to be more sensitive, since when I'm scrolling down through posts, I'll end up pressing a whole bunch of buttons. 4. When typing it takes a while for the letters to show up, which adds to #1 making it mor annoying to drag your cursor (blinking "|") to edit stuff. 5. Page keeps jumping when I try to scroll up to the text I typed before, and it'll take a whole bunch of tries to exit the quick reply box.

Edited by Sensei123

the most important part of the forum - the part with text - only fills a third of the screen!

who thought this was a good idea [scared]

Okay, this is probably low priority but why do I receive two separate notifications for new messages?  I think a notification on the envelope icon is sufficient for new messages.  I don't need a notification for a new message on both the bell icon and envelope icon.

Does following someone who sent you a message push the extra notification?

Edited by rhrmn

More changes:

• Renamed 'Gamertag' to 'Xbox LIVE Gamertag' in the Contact Methods section of the user profile
  • Added 'Blog URL' in the Contact Methods section of the user profile
  • Increased PM storage limit from 50 to 100
    • This isn't an easy one. As you may have noticed, conversations you've started on the new forums are threaded (yay!!!!!!!) Unfortunately, the old migrated messages were not. While we've increased the conversation storage limit to 100, some of you still might be over. Unfortunately, if you want to receive new PMs, you'll need to go back through your old conversations and delete them (hit 'Leave Conversation') to get under your limit. I know this isn't ideal, but that's the only solution we have.
  • Increased number of reputation allowed to be given per day from 10 to 25

A note for those asking how to delete PMs: hit the 'Leave Conversation' button.

Keep those suggestions coming!

I don't think this will result in any kind of big mess. While there are many Age of Empires players whose first language is not English, there certainly aren't thousands of non-English speaking forum users; there were about 200 total non-English forum threads started across all boards on the old forums. That kind of traffic doesn't really warrant their own subforums. We opted to remove and consolidate many of the underused subforums into one to make navigation easier, and (hopefully) to encourage more conversation.

For the moment, we're encouraging users to post in English, as we don't really have the bandwidth to moderate other languages. To be completely honest, we didn't really for most of the life of the old forums, either.

​Thanks for your answer Steve.

You are right, it won't make a mess. But I doubt that forcing people to speak English is a solution. Maybe you don't know French people (or other nationalities for that matter) but English is NOT one of their national languages and very few French people can speak or understand English. So here is what's gonna happen: all those people will simply stop visiting the forums and they won't have the chance to find a decent alliance or to receive good tips to progress in the game. It is discriminating to assume that everybody in the world can understand English, you know...

Besides, the game is available in many languages all over the world. So it would be only natural that the official forums of the game would be available as well in the same languages. And don't tell me that you can't find anyone who understands at least French or Spanish in order to moderate those forums...

And yes, only a few people used to post on this foreign forums, but when a player is looking for an alliance he comes visit the forum, reads the alliances topics and then can choose to join an alliance. They don't need to post anything... But it was important that those foreign forums existed at least to present the alliances in other languages. You cannot evaluate the necessity of a topic only by its number of posts; you evaluate it by its number of views and by the effect it has on people. In my alliance 27 people joined us just after reading the alliance topic and only 3 people joined and posted in the topic...

Edited by kingblacklemon

OK that was weird, it just ate my post (quick reply)

1) Would love more than 50% of my screen to be post content, 2/3 at least would be nice.

2) General forum thing but signatures being larger than small posts is terrible. Maybe single spacing on multiple lines and fixed font in signatures? I'd like to keep them on but they can get annoying quickly.

3) I miss preview post. The editor does seem pretty close to what's actually shown when posting thankfully, so it's possible it's not needed (I haven't seen many forum software iterations that do this correctly so we'll see!)

OK that was weird, it just ate my post (quick reply)

1) Would love more than 50% of my screen to be post content, 2/3 at least would be nice.

2) General forum thing but signatures being larger than small posts is terrible. Maybe single spacing on multiple lines and fixed font in signatures? I'd like to keep them on but they can get annoying quickly.

3) I miss preview post. The editor does seem pretty close to what's actually shown when posting thankfully, so it's possible it's not needed (I haven't seen many forum software iterations that do this correctly so we'll see!)

​Hey Arc. Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding your suggestions:

1. Unfortunately, here we have to take into account the lowest common denominator for screen sizes. For some people that visit these forums, the 50% of your screen is actually the entire width of theirs. If we were to dynamically size the content to fill the width of your screen, we'd have to use relational positioning for everything on the page, which would result in a strong likelihood of things looking odd for some users (because we can't test every hardware configuration out there). Instead, we opted for something that would be consistent for all users.
  2. Absolutely agree on huge signatures being a pain. We tried to put limits in place to prevent this from happening, but if you see any particular examples of large signatures, could you send me a PM with a link to the example?
  3. The editor for this forum is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor. This means that your posts should look identical in the editor to how they appear on page. If this isn't the case, could you post here or send me a PM with more details?

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts