MS IamPREZSTEVE

Welcome to the new forums!

​Hey Arc. Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding your suggestions:

1. Unfortunately, here we have to take into account the lowest common denominator for screen sizes. For some people that visit these forums, the 50% of your screen is actually the entire width of theirs. If we were to dynamically size the content to fill the width of your screen, we'd have to use relational positioning for everything on the page, which would result in a strong likelihood of things looking odd for some users (because we can't test every hardware configuration out there). Instead, we opted for something that would be consistent for all users.
  2. Absolutely agree on huge signatures being a pain. We tried to put limits in place to prevent this from happening, but if you see any particular examples of large signatures, could you send me a PM with a link to the example?
  3. The editor for this forum is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor. This means that your posts should look identical in the editor to how they appear on page. If this isn't the case, could you post here or send me a PM with more details?

​1. Makes sense, I'd be in favor of dynamically resizing but I understand that can be a pain to verify on a lot of different hardware.

2. Will do, this was more preemptive than actually noticing one.

3. Some tags don't do it, such as [ spoiler ] doesn't turn into a spoilered block until you actually post. Creating your own quote also doesn't seem to do it (although there's a quote button up top)

NEW 4: Seems to be a bug multi-editing, using IE 11, I put in a spoiler tag, hit edit, and couldn't get a cursor in the compose box. Had to insert a paragraph below to get it to be able to edit again. Editing this again did the same thing.

NEW 5: If the staff had different colors to their entire post (like background a slightly different, but unique to staff shade) it might be nice helping it stand out. Blizzard does this quite well for what it's worth, but obviously they have normal font text and then special font text.

Edited by Arc
Testing something out

Okay, this is probably low priority but why do I receive two separate notifications for new messages?  I think a notification on the envelope icon is sufficient for new messages.  I don't need a notification for a new message on both the bell icon and envelope icon.

Does following someone who sent you a message push the extra notification?

You should be able to tweak this in Notification Settings (upper-right dropdown menu).

I really like the new layout, looks pretty modern, and the new features are all positive things. A couple of suggestions:

• It would be nice to have a background theme for each game(preferably multiple). For example, in my total bias I would prefer to use an AoM one over the AoE 3 one that is used by default as I write this.

• A forum section for guides/strategy discussion is necessary for each game. People looking to improve should have something quickly accessible that's easy to find. Highly popular guides could get pinned until better alternatives of the same area show up.

• A replay forum for each game would be very, very important for this site to really kick off. If some of the high ranked players on each game start coming here to post their games, the multiplayer communities would swarm in. While automatic replay uploading, recognition and formatting with stats would be ideal, I realize that this takes a massive effort to develop due to not only the complexity of the task, but also the number of games featured. Initially, just allow for attachments, and as revenue slowly increases, spend that money on such development ventures. 

• Due to separation of subgroups of communities, the forums should allow for these subgroups to communicate about their own community matters in their own sections. As an example, the separation between RM, DM and CS is very apparent in both AoE2 and AoM, and as such, I believe there should be forums for each. The general discussion would obviously feature the main game type (RM, supremacy, whatever the name per game), and CS and DM could get their own little sections. The replay forum idea above ties in with this completely, all these sections should include a replay forum for their own game type. 

• Feature active streamers. Perhaps a have a tab for this at the top panels? There seems to be enough room.

• Allow users to create topics as a poll.
Edited by DoD_Nakamura
Added the poll suggestion

The old forums were able to post youtube video replays, is there a possible way you guys can allow this here too?  IT'd be a great feature for your weekly replay.  Thank you.

As a web developer, I like how the new forum looks like, it has all the usual features of a modern forum design and functionality.

The only issue I could see with it is that it looks maybe a bit too generic for a gaming site, but I suppose that's because it's a Microsoft site, so it was brought in line with the general UI design line for Microsoft sites (segoi UI fonts, flat modern design, etc).

Say, did I read somewhere that Prez Steve was going to change/clarify the villager/spearman/crossbowman/champion line of player gadgetry?  And the medals/community sage stuff?

Has that happened yet?  Where?

If not, when?

Sorry, I still dont really have my bearings around here.

Devs/Mods....

Please do not allow forum users to change the color of their font.  It is very annoying when users mimic Mods by changing their font color.  Keep all users set to black font, and let only the Mods and Devs use colored font, to eliminate confusion. Thanks.

Say, did I read somewhere that Prez Steve was going to change/clarify the villager/spearman/crossbowman/champion line of player gadgetry?  And the medals/community sage stuff?

Has that happened yet?  Where?

If not, when?

Sorry, I still dont really have my bearings around here.

​Not yet - I've been tied up with other forum stuff. I'll get that up for you guys today.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts