MS IamPREZSTEVE

Welcome to the new forums!

Welcome, everyone, to the new forums!

• New look and feel
  • Mobile support: forum layout will change to look better on small devices
  • New forum software that will make it easier for the team to maintain and address issues and bugs faster
  • Faster load times and better forum stability
  • Many other items and concerns from the old forum feedback thread

Existing forum users, your post count and rank have carried over here. The existing posts you’ve made are accessible as well.

A note about avatars: existing users have had their old avatars imported into the new forums, and will be unable to change them for time being. New users have a default avatar. Creating an avatar gallery similar to the old forums is one of our top priorities post-launch. In addition, we’ll be adding custom avatar functionality for users who’ve reached a certain rank.

EDIT: A small subset of users may not have had their avatars migrated over properly. We're aware of this issue and are working to fix it. Fixed!

We’ll be making an update to the rest of the site later this summer, bringing with it a brand new design, and a single sign-in across the forums and blog.

In the meantime, if you experience any wonky behavior or wish to report bugs, please respond here or send me a PM directly. We hope you enjoy using our new forums!

------

EDIT: Adding this changelog so you guys know what we're changing based on your feedback.

• Disabled posting to root folders (i.e. 'Age of Empires II: HD Edition' vs 'General Discussion')
  • Disabled posting to Age of Empires: Castle Siege 'Announcements' forum
  • Forum restructuring
    • Renamed 'Age of Empires II: HD Edition' to 'Age of Empires II'
    • Renamed 'Age of Mythology: Extended Edition' to 'Age of Mythology'
    • Renamed 'Events and Polls' to 'Contests and Polls'
    • Consolidated AoE II, AoM, and AoE III subforums down to 'General Discussion' and 'Support'
      • All deleted subforums' content was moved to 'General Discussion'
    • Removed all foreign language subforums
      • All content was moved into corresponding 'General Discussion' subforums
    • Consolidated all 'Age of Empires Legacy Games' subforums into one
    • Deleted 'Support' forum
      • All deleted subforums' content was moved into corresponding games' 'Support' subforums
    • Removed game prefix from subforums' titles 
  • Renamed 'Gamertag' to 'Xbox LIVE Gamertag' in the Contact Methods section of the user profile
  • Added 'Blog URL' in the Contact Methods section of the user profile
  • Increased PM storage limit from 50 to 100
    • This isn't an easy one. As you may have noticed, conversations you've started on the new forums are threaded (yay!!!!!!!) Unfortunately, the old migrated messages were not. While we've increased the conversation storage limit to 100, some of you still might be over. Unfortunately, if you want to receive new PMs, you'll need to go back through your old conversations and delete them (hit 'Leave Conversation') to get under your limit. I know this isn't ideal, but that's the only solution we have.
  • Increased number of reputation allowed to be given per day from 10 to 25 Removed limit
  • Increased number of displayed posts per paged from 25 to 10 10 to 15 
  • Changed rank titles and post counts. Have a look and provide feedback here

I know this forum restructure makes things look a bit different, but I hope you guys find it to be less overwhelming and a lot cleaner. Keep your suggestions coming! We're monitoring this thread closely.

Edited by MS IamPREZSTEVE
Added more items to changelog.

First, I want to say the new IPS Age of Empires forums are a massive improvement over the old YaF Age of Empires forums.  With that in mind, here is a running list of issues and preliminary feedback on the new IPS Age of Empires forums.

Forum Bugs and Issues

1. I'm unable to change my profile avatar (feature coming soon)
  2. Formatting for bold text, text size, numbered and bulleted lists, etc. from the old forums did not translate over to the new forums
  3. Staff directory does not show any profiles
  4. On the left side of forums posts in the member profile section, "LocationOhio, USA" should be "Location: Ohio, USA"
  5. Several forum sections have horizontally squeezed (capsule shaped, not circular) profile pictures only when viewing the forums using 32-bit and 64-bit Chrome v43.  I could not recreate the issue using Internet Explorer 11.
    1. recent profile visitors
    2. left panel of messages inbox
    3. small pop-up when click Messages (envelope icon) on navigation bar
    4. small pop-up when click Notifications (bell icon) on navigation bar
    5. under Content I Follow, click Members
    6. member search results
  6. When I report a forum post with or without a comment it takes a relatively long time, about 60 seconds, for the forums to send a report.  Is there any way to reduce how long this takes so the feature is more convenient?  Update: Now only takes around 10 seconds.  Thank you!
  7. Please disable the ability for regular forum members to create new posts directly in forum folders such as "Age of Empires: Castle Siege".  We should only be able to create threads under subforums such as "AoE: Castle Siege General Discussion".
  8. Forum members who have usernames with the lower-case letters "y", "g", "q", "j" and "p" have the bottom part of those characters cut-off on forum posts.  Also on their profile, their member name may or may not overlap their role text, such as "Member" or "Volunteer Community Moderator".  See generalbattle13's profile as an example.

General Feedback

1. In Messages inbox we would like the option to select individual messages on the left panel (checkbox) and delete them.  At present the only options are to leave individual conversations one at a time or mass delete, Empty, our entire inbox.  Update: Limitation of new forums.
  2. In Edit Profile under Contact Methods, make "Website URL" an active link rather than text on profile
  3. In Edit Profile under Contact Methods, rename the "Gamertag" field to "Xbox LIVE Gamertag"
  4. In Edit Profile under Contact Methods, add a field for "Blog URL" and make an active link rather than text on profile.
  5. In Edit Profile, allow us to replace with a cover photo.  The cover photo selection could be one for each Age of Empires game, in order for members to display their favorite game in the series.
  6. Create an Age of Empires forum theme or skin to replace default skin
  7. Will forum roles (medals) being making the transition to the new forums?  I earned three roles on the old forums, community sage, featured player and contest winner, but only one, community sage, is displayed.

Strikethrough for addressed feedback

Edited by rhrmn

Congratulations! Yet another marvelous display by Microsoft on how to spend time and resources on something that's entirely useless. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think that Microsoft started to develop some sort of allergy to Age of Empires Online towards its final days, and then it started removing everything related to it wherever it was possible. 

The first thing they did after shutting AoEO down (which still makes me wonder why they did it, because as far as I know the game was supposed to go down at the same time as Games For Windows Live, but even though they canceled the shutdown of GFWL, AoEO's shutdown wasn't canceled. Why????) was to get rid of the forums. What happened next was them putting up some sort of placeholder website - which looked like something from almost decades ago (as I'm sure everyone here agrees) - instead of just adding all the new Age games' forums to the one that already existed on AoEO's forums, a forum that looked better than the one belonging to big-name games such as StarCraft 2. 

Now we see another forums made for the AoE franchise, one that looks only slightly better than the one we had on AoEO's website; was it really necessary to do this? I think everyone here would agree that the time and resources spent to make these forums (and the one before this) should have been spent on trying to re-release AoEO (or better yet, make another AoE game!)

And let's not talk about the remakes of all the other Age games, including almost every single piece of DLC that existed for them, even adding new ones!

Well done Microsoft, I am legitimately impressed [mad]

Side note: with E3 approaching, I do hope for some good news! I am more than willing to take all my words back in case they announce something nice at E3! (but please, no AoE1 remake or AoMEE/AoE2HD DLC)

Thank you for reading my wall of text. [cool]

Thank you for all the feedback, guys! You'll most likely be seeing some changes over the next few days as we work on implementing your suggestions and making a few tweaks on the backend.

We appreciate your patience while we get fully up to speed, and keep your suggestions and feedback coming! The team is monitoring this thread closely.

Here are a few of the things I've changed. More to come!

• Disabled posting to root folders (i.e. 'Age of Empires II: HD Edition' vs 'General Discussion')
  • Disabled posting to Age of Empires: Castle Siege 'Announcements' forum
  • Forum restructuring
    • Renamed 'Age of Empires II: HD Edition' to 'Age of Empires II'
    • Renamed 'Age of Mythology: Extended Edition' to 'Age of Mythology'
    • Renamed 'Events and Polls' to 'Contests and Polls'
    • Consolidated AoE II, AoM, and AoE III subforums down to 'General Discussion' and 'Support'
      • All deleted subforums' content was moved to 'General Discussion'
    • Removed all foreign language subforums
      • All content was moved into corresponding 'General Discussion' subforums
    • Consolidated all 'Age of Empires Legacy Games' subforums into one
    • Deleted 'Support' forum
      • All deleted subforums' content was moved into corresponding games' 'Support' subforums
    • Removed game prefix from subforums' titles

I know this forum restructure makes things look a bit different, but I hope you guys find it to be less overwhelming and a lot cleaner. Keep your suggestions coming! As I said, we're monitoring this thread closely.

I actually like this new forum layout. Very well done Microsoft; I thought it would never happen. One thing though - is there any way you could make it so the pages aren't so long?

is there any way you could make it so the pages aren't so long?

​I've dropped the number of posts per page down from 25 to 10, which should also match the old forums.

Keep the feedback coming guys!

Edited by Circi0

Why were the foreign language subforums removed?  Do you intend to allow users to choose which language they would like and then they would only see related subforums, similar to how the Age of Empires Online forums were structured?  Please explain how you will support international users going foward.

Edited by rhrmn

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts